A&P stupid noob question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FrEaKsHoW 24/7, Aug 18, 2009.

1. FrEaKsHoW 24/7

FrEaKsHoW 24/7 Member

I have an old Cannon A1 that was given to me a few years ago when my grandfather died. It was a decent enough setup. But I never really got into it much because I really hated paying to have film developed when I had a digital camera to use. I'm no picture afficionado by any means. But I would like to be able to have more control over my shots.

My question would be if my old lenses from the Cannon A1 would directly fit on any DSLR body available today? I'd like to just buy a body if possible to cut down on costs. I don't recall exactly what they are, but one is a telefoto of some sort, and the other is a wide angle. That's about as far as my knowledge goes on them. They are in storage right now, so I haven't pulled them to refresh my memory.

Ideally I'd like to present a decent setup to my wife as a Christmas gift. She's got a killer eye for what makes a great pic, and I think she'd really enjoy photography as a hobby. Not looking for anything spectacular, just something for an entry level hobby.

2. johan

johan Active Member

I had a Canon A1 way back when. Great camera.
    It's the old FD mount, so no, those lenses wont mount on modern Canon DSLRs

3. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

the only lens from teh A1 that would fit would be L glass the rest of the film lenses are FD mount and wont pop on

4. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

I'd like to help you out with some good advice, since you seem like a nice guy, but all I can think about is how fucking annoying your username is, and if there is a way to track you down and punch you repeatedly in the face until you change it.

All my best,
    'chef

5. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

:ugh:

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

when i first starting talking in OTAP, you were 70% helpful/29% funny/1% douche

you are now 1% helpful/29% funny/70% douche

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

If they are FD mount and you really want to use them then buy an adapter. I'm pretty sure you'll have to manually focus them also.

8. Bloke

Bloke Banned

nothing wrong with manual focus. the adapter is the problem, it degrades the image from the lens.

in ways that old A1 is a lot nicer than many digitals, its built like a battleship, battery lasts forever (try that with a digital) and has very easy controls, and a massive viewfinder compared to just about all digitals.

9. FrEaKsHoW 24/7

FrEaKsHoW 24/7 Member

Thanks for the positive words. :bowdown:

Please do elaborate more on why my username is of such significance to whether or not you provide further useful information.:fawk:

10. UnNakedChef

When I first started talking in OTAP, you were luckily finger-fucking some other subforum like a teen after his first beer.

11. UnNakedChef

NoThInG oThEr ThAn tHe fAcT tHaT I hAvE a sEizUrE eVeRy TiMe I tRy tO rEaD yOuR UsErNaMe. dO aDuLtS aCtUaLlY tYpE LiKe tHiS?

12. FrEaKsHoW 24/7

FrEaKsHoW 24/7 Member

always a critic I see. maybe you should remove the 3 caps in your username if you tend to hate so much.

13. UnNakedChef