A&P Stupid no motor D40

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Cr0mulent, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Cr0mulent

Cr0mulent Werewolf: The Last Warrior

For the past couple weeks I have been deliberating over buying a DSLR. About a month ago I bought a canon SD1000 point and shoot INSTEAD of a DSLR. I almost bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ18. If I had bought the panasonic perhaps I could have curbed the urge to buy a true DSLR.

So a couple weeks ago I went into my neighborhood photo place
    ( http://www.helixcamera.com/home.html ) and asked about entry level DSLR's. Obviously the D40, 350D/Rebel XTi. We all know the drill. XTi is a little bit cheaper, Canon has a good distribution network, will handle the older lenses. However, the Rebel looks flimsy and cheap to me.

The D40 looks really slick to me. It costs a little more than the rebel, ONLY AUTOMATIC LENSES. Because of this, im looking at the D80. I read so much about D40 regret its hard for me to bite the bullet and save for a D80.

If I want an entry level DSLR, will I really regret not waiting to buy the D80?

I just need some justification for buying an entry level DSLR. Any advice?

2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

buy an xti.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

you might want to wait for the XSI or nikon's new one, probably a D60

4. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

Get the D80.
    I bought the d40x, and returned it in 2 weeks for various reasons. I think at that time, there was around a $300 price difference b/t the 2 models.
    1. D80 has wireless commander mode.
    2. D80 can use non-AF-S lenses. There's new AF-S and HSM lenses coming out, but they're hella expensive.
    There's a couple of other small differences, but I personally feel like these 2 things make the d80 well worth an extra $300.

5. Spurious

Spurious New Member

I'd say go Canon, either the XT/XTi/XSI or a used 20D.

6. Cr0mulent

I think Ill have to drown myself in booze. That will help me decide.

The camera store is closed right now anyways.

Can anyone suggest a cheap place to buy a camera? The google adwords when looking for cameras look like scams.

7. Spurious

Spurious New Member

8. JordanClarkson

9. JordanClarkson

10. Cr0mulent

Not to mention... I should probably wait until after PMA.

One of the best bargins I have seen recently is people trying to sell off their Lumix L1 DSLR bodies on ebay for like $250. Im tempted but I know it will suck.

11. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

It blows me away that no one ever looks at used bodies. Most people sell them less than a year old because something new came out. You can pick up midrange bodies that are much nicer than the entry level bodies for cheaper. I see 10/20/30ds going for for 200-500 depending on model, all of which I'd prefer to most lower end models. Maybe it's just me but having a better used camera is preferred to a new low end one.

12. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

pick up a 450-500 dollar used 20d body and forget about everything else. srsly.

13. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

if you are buying new, and cheap, get the d40. I have one and have no regrets.

If you are spending more than d40 money, get an xti. Even though I have a Nikon, I'm a big canon fan (I love the S5-IS for a P&S). You will like the xti more than the d40.

If you are buying used, well, then the options are much more varied...

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I feel your pain about the purchase of the point and shoot and wanting a DSLR. I did the same thing, thinking a nice point and shoot should do. I ended up going to Russia with the point and shoot and my 35mm Nikon N80 and the N80 did a great job, I wished I had the digital equivalent.

So I just bought a D80. I was thinking about the D40x. The specs are practically the same, from what I saw. I was concerned about the lens selection the D40x so I went with the D80. Plus, I already have lenses for a Nikon N80 which I was hoping I could use on the new DSLR, and they work great on the D80.

Amazon has had some good prices on just the body alone ($718 when I got mine). They have this Super Shipper deal which is free for one month and you get free shipping or $3.99 for overnight shipping. It was going to cost about $24 for overnight so I signed up for the free month and got all my gear the next day.

I hadn't thought to look very hard for a used body. Amazon showed some used gear, but they were only $20-50 in price difference and they were coming from folks I'm not sure I 100% trusted.

I don't mind used lenses. The camera shop I stopped at to check on prices had the 18-55mm kit lens for the D80 for $75. It was a refurb and still had the shrink wrap from Nikon. I was figuring $718 for the body, plus $75 for the used lens, and you're still below the $899 Amazon wants for the combo. Sadly, it took me a week to make a decision on the D80 and they had sold the 18-55mm lens by then (I thought they had a good deal on a used Nikkor 15-70mm so I went with that instead).

15. Mint

Mint Active Member

I have a D40x and love it :wiggle: