Stupid MobileMe shit from Apple

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Aug 7, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

God, it pisses me off that Apple installed this shitty MobileMe software with their iTunes 7.7 update. If you have installed that, but haven't noticed, it is sneakily installed with the latest version of iTunes. To uninstall it, go to Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista, then remove the Apple Mobile Device Support.

It is annoying because there is a lot I like about Apple as a company, but this is really bad form.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/148737/itunes_update_adds_mobileme_to_windows_systems.html

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

down with jobs

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you know i'm not an apple hater, but i've read a lot of bad shit about MobileMe and it pissed me off when i stumbled on that crap on my Vista laptop. man, i'm already nervous enough about this thing falling on its ass without companies sneaking their crappy software in too.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

apple loves to mess with windows.

remember the virus on the ipods? :lol:

nah, that wasn't intentional, i know, but i hear people pissed at how iTunes has installed some service (deux explain iPod Service), and they did it again.

is this 'bad form' necessary?

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

They fucked up MobileMe.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What is MobileMe?

7. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

ActiveSync using Apple servers

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

See, I can deal with MobileMe release being a nightmare. That happens to all companies one time or another. So, I don't hold it against them for mail failing and all of the other problems that they had with the initial rollout. What I don't like is that they made the conscious decision to sneak the MobileMe software onto people's computers without informing them. This is much worse than the lame thing they did with Safari and Apple Update where they treated new software install as a regular update. At least you had the option if you knew to unselect it and then hide it so it wouldn't ever get installed.

9. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

Apple is no better than realplayer when it comes to taking over your computer.

lol @ people who think apple is some sort of standard for ethical principles on how to run a corporation. HOOK LINE AND MOTHERFUCKING SINKER to you idiots.

10. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Is there a particular reason you are using iTunes over an alternative that isn't trying to pull sneaky tactics such as this? I deleted the newest iTunes for the same reason... I'm sick of installing one Apple program and it installing 5 other services along with it. I don't need MobileMe. Not sure why I need Apple's Bonjour service installed, or their shitty Auto Updater which tries to get me to install Safari for Windows :ugh:

http://getsongbird.com/ I'd recommend uninstalling iTunes and putting this in. Songbird will import your iTunes library (if you have both programs installed on Songbird's first launch) and I'm pretty sure (not verified) that it will keep your MP3 players synched to that new library.

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i'll be honest, i'm aggrevated, but i don't really have much to complain about other than the Safari thing and the MobileMe shit. it was just frustrating that after the backlash from them defaulting Safari to install, you would figure they'd think twice about sneaking shit on your PC.

but, keep in mind that Microsoft is the king when it comes to all of this sketchy shit. so, unless you are a pure Linux geek, you acting all high and mighty is pretty retarded.

12. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I want Quicktime. Like it or not there is stuff in that format and in order to play it I need it.

So you go out and get Quicktime and it tries to get you to install itunes.
    Nothing is more useless to me then itunes.
    So I get the install without it.

Then one day (like a day later) I get an automatic update for Quicktime, if I am not careful it bundles itunes with it.

Bullshit. Pisses me off.

So now I have itunes, quicktime and Safari all on my machine. And why are they there? Cause it is easier for me to let them install then cut them off at the pass every 2 weeks.

13. deusexaethera

They are a standard for ethical principles on how to run a corporation:

1. Make your product acceptably functional, extremely shiny, and totally incompatible with any products not also made by you.

2. Target an ad campaign at vacuous, shallow people with a need to be cool.

3. Convince them your product is inherently better than anything else, which shouldn't be hard since they're vacuous and shallow.

4. Charge them way too much, blaming the price tag on the high cost-per-ounce of brand cachet, which your product has in spades.

5. Profit like a motherfucker.

Hey, I never said their ethics were in line with what most people would approve of...

- - -

EDIT: I forgot, there's a step before Step 1.

0. Steal employees from the R&D departments of legitimate technology companies (like Xerox) and rip off the products they haven't developed far enough to patent yet.

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

\=
    }]QUOTE=deusexaethera;103259811]0. Steal employees from the R&D departments of legitimate technology companies (like Xerox) and rip off the products they haven't developed far enough to patent yet.[/QUOTE]

i find it really humorous that you can complain about any of that shit and still be a fanboy of Microsoft.

you can hide whatever "updates" you don't want installed. just select the ones you don't want, then click tools -> ignore selected updates. they'll only come back if you tell the software to restore them.

by the by, i'm sorry that i even posted this thread. i was aggravated at Apple for doing this and all of the retards who are threatened by the existence of Apple come out of the woodwork.

15. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

you stupid waste of skin. you know that its possible to NOT be an apple fanboy, NOT be a linux nerd, and also NOT like microsoft, right?

i use windows for a few reasons.

a. apple shit is over-priced. the majority of apple sackriders are fucking annoying prissy murse carrying collar popping pink shirt wearing homos. i dont know which crowd is worse. cyclists or apple elitists.

b. i dont feel like learning linux. i simply just dont care enough.

c. i use windows because i always have, and i downloaded it illegally. microsoft is a shitty company, whos days are numbered with unix and linux getting more popular.

d. omg i have an ipod! because they were the best MP3 player IMO, until the 2nd gen Zune came out. im not a fanboy of shit, i buy what makes sense to me. you apple idiots are just too easy to make fun of when you do shit like this.

[​IMG]

you stated in your thread that you think apple is a good company. they arnt. they are there to make a profit from you idiots who will pay twice as much for something, simply because its shiny. they wanted to move their entire tech support department to india, but they didnt because they werent going to save enough money. point is, they wanted to. they are just like everyone else. stop sackriding.

16. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

17. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

:bowdown: to you sir. Just download and installed it after reading your post and I love this program, only wish there was an equalizer. This is the program that has made me uninstall iTunes.

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

actually, i'm not a fan of apple. i'm just against fanboys and this forum is full of microsoft sack riders. when i talk to my friend who is an apple fanboy, i always give him shit about stuff they do.

i don't own any apple products other than an iPod nano i bought a while ago for my wife and an iPod Touch i bought a few months ago. what i liked about the touch was the community support with the available hacks and shit.

what annoys me about people though is the utter hatred that some people have for apple. they put a lot of thought into usability, overall design and how you interact with their products. if there is any premium in their hardware (and there isn't across the board), it is acceptable to many people to cover the design and usability that always seems to be an afterthought for companies like Microsoft, Dell, HP and all of the other Windows-centric computer companies. as far as the shitty things that Apple does, they don't do anything better or worse than any other profit driven company.

the closest you'll ever see to me being a fanboy is with HPUX and possibly HDS storage. i'd much rather deal with HDS and HPUX than EMC and Solaris any day. :p

19. deusexaethera

Microsoft doesn't steal employees and un-patented ideas, it buys companies whole and gets their patents along with them. It's definitely more ethical, because it doesn't put those people out of jobs and steal their big ideas.

Apple isn't even a technology company anymore, they're a marketing company -- they don't come up with any new ideas, they just market the ones they can turn the highest profit margin on. They're the fucking GAP of electronics vendors, which is surprising, because they actually managed to steal the mantle from Sony, who at least develops their own shit.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  20. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I apptreciate the advice on getting around it. I never took the time to explore tools on it. Maybe I will do some uninstalls and do what you said.

But don't let this excuse Apple from what they have done.
    If Microsoft did the same thing with there software then every Apple fanatic with an axe to grind would be screaming at them.

It is unacceptable behavior to tie downloads together like that.
    The comparison with Real software is a justifiable one.

21. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I got some iPhone thing installed on my computer and I don't have an iPhone.

22. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

Didnt Microsoft get sued because it always force installed windows media player? Will Apple get sued in the same way?

Wasnt it also not that long ago where iTunes started force installing Safari, and when they got caught, they had to add a check box which is checked on by default?

23. deusexaethera

They likely won't get sued. Microsoft has a natural monopoly in the OS market, which is legal because you can't stop everyone from buying the same product if they all like it, but it used that to create artificial monopolies in the web browser and media player markets. Even so, technically it wasn't the fact that Windows came with Media Player and Internet Explorer, it was the fact that they couldn't be removed that got them in deep shit.

As far as I know, Apple neither has a monopoly in anything, nor do they prevent the user from removing those packaged "extras" without also removing the software the user wanted.

24. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

it was that plus the fact that Microsoft was using their monopoly to limit competition by threatening their resellers to not install competiters software.

25. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

I think Apples day is comming. They are suing a company that took OSX and modified it so it would work with off the shelf PC parts. A rather large legal firm has stepped in to repesent the small company and has already raised the issue of anti-trust violations by Apple based on the fact that they only allow their software to be installed on hardware they make.