stupid Linux noob question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by asTTro boy, Jan 8, 2004.

1. asTTro boy

asTTro boy Guest

... ok, I just got someone's computer and it has RedHat 8 installed. I'm need to learn more about it, but for right now all I want to do is work the email in it. I went into an account and used the
    [[email protected] home]$ mail
    command to send my self something -

it came to me as [email protected] - well at least to my other account on the same intranet. I tried to send one externally and I never received it.

My question - how do I configure this to send mail outside of my intranet, and how do I set it up to receive mail - when I replied to the above address, I, obviously, got an error.

This is red hat 8.0 - I know you'll need a lot more information to help answer this, but I was hoping somone could point me in a clear direction - google is just confusing me more :ugh:

TIA

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

that is sendmail. use kmail or another graphical mail client and the configuration will be like other clients you are familiar with. if you really want to use sendmail use qmail instead

http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html

3. asTTro boy

asTTro boy Guest

:bigthumb: nice - some direction! you rock!

4. col_panic

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

just out of curiosity, why qmail instead of sendmail? is it better, or just simpler?

6. col_panic

qmail does not have to be run as root and supposedly it is faster under heavy load

edit: now that i am home and have access to my books i can amplify on that "run as root" part. USAH v.2 (edit: v.3) (nemeth, et. al) states:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004