Stupid audio question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coreystang, Jun 21, 2005.

1. coreystang

coreystang OT Supporter

Why do I have to turn the volume up a lot louder when I watch a dvd? When I have the TV on the volume is normal, but when i switch to dvd the I have to turn the volume up about 20 notches. If I leave the volume how i had on dvd and switch back to TV it is so freakin loud.

2. johnson

johnson New Member

Are you playing it from a DVD player? Laptop?

3. coreystang

coreystang OT Supporter

Playing from a Dvd player.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Maybe the volume is turned down on the player?

5. coreystang

coreystang OT Supporter

there is no volume on the dvd player, that I know of.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Do you have a remote for it? Most have a volume control on there and not the player itself.

7. coreystang

coreystang OT Supporter

yes I do have the remote for it. I will check on that tonight then get back to you tomorrow.

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

The answer (unless there is a problem with your equipment) is in one word: dynamics. In two: dynamic range. The question is not stupid, and the vast majority of consumers probably do not know why they have to turn up the volume on their dvd's to hear voices as loud as they would during normal programming.

A dvd with high quality recorded audio, especially dvd's with explosions, or with classical music soundtracks (that often have amazing dynamics) have a larger dynamic range than, say, a TV show. Dynamic range means the range in loudness (dB) from the absolute softest sound to the absolute loudest sound in the movie. For instance, if bombs are going off, those should be a lot louder than someone speaking. Therefore, you have to turn the volume up to hear the voices so that the bombs will be at the intended volume level. Movies that have a narrow range (like chick flicks, or comedies for instance) usually don't have to be turned up as loud because there aren't many sounds that are much louder than the voices.

Does that clear things up?

9. coreystang

coreystang OT Supporter

I understand what u are saying, but it is every DVD. I have to turn it up to hear the Whole Dvd, not just the speaking parts. Mabye it because I have a $200 system. Once I trun it up it does sound good though.

10. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Yea, most DVD's are like this. I'm just saying some have compressed audio and so you don't have to turn it up as much. I was using voices as an example, because obviously most people adjust their volume levels so that they can hear dialogue. I'm not sure if you really did understand what I said, because it would make sense why all parts of the dvd appear softer in volume, not just the voices, if you did. Maybe I worded it poorly. I don't think you have a problem with your system. The easy to way to check is to attach the dvd player to another TV and try it out. You could also attach a different DVD player to your current TV, but that won't be accurate since DVD players don't all put out exactly equal level signals. So, it's also possible your player puts out a slightly lower level signal than normal.