MMA Study: Steroids found in supplements

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by gtpjim, Dec 5, 2007.

1. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2007-12-05-supplement-study_N.htm

Those crazy Chinese. :x:

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

oh schnappes

3. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Its not the chinese. Look up any of the "extreme muscle building prohormones" in any GNC. They're just rejected steroidal compounds. They metabolize as the same compound families as banned steroids, hence the positive tests.

Sherk was probably taking fucking M1T or some shit his dumbfuck trainers bought him at GNC.

To clarify:
    they haven't been banned because they are just relabled compounds that scientists found to be less effective.
    They're like beta versions of the designer steroids that didn't make the cut, never got distributed so they aren't on the list of banned substances the FDA puts out.

Also, since the deregulation of supplements, there's really no screening process. Any retard can produce and market these things like they're candy. Disgusting.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  4. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

lawls

OK, M1T has been banned since 04, and shrek did not fucking test positive for methyl-1-testosterone he tested positive for nandrolone.

And what country do you think produces the current anabolics being sold as supplements??

If you had to guess the country to where a lot of regular supplements come from - what would it be?

See if you could put two and two together and get back to me.

5. onelove

onelove Hit or Miss

I believe during the hearing they found that one of his Xyience supplements indeed contained Nandoline when they tested it.

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

This is no excuse.

If you're a pro athlete, you need to know exactly what's going in your body 100% of the time. Period.

7. ilduce

ilduce New Member

If he had say contaminated protein that he bought at wal-mart how is he supposed to know? I know that may sound far fetched but there is a ton of food that gets contaminated all the time. He doesnt have the money to test every single thing he takes, at some point you have to look at the bottle and assume you are getting just what the ingredients on the label list if it is from what is considered as a traditionally reputable company...nothing more nothing less. While I know that the supplement issue has been a problem for a while now so has eating food from your grocery store. If you were one of the unfortunate people who got e-coli from the contaminated lettuce outbreak a while back how is that your fault?

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

omg what a load of bullshit. who gives a shit.

9. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

If I get e.coli from bad lettuce, it's not going to affect my income or the availablity of my job.

These guys should know what supplements are safe, and what's questionable. It's part of being a pro athlete.

I feel the same way when an NFL/MLB athlete gets popped for banned substances and says "It must have been in my supplements".

If you make your living with your body and your athletic ability, you better damn well know what you're putting into it. It goes with being a pro.

10. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

The maker "fucking up" and contaminating a tub of whey isn't very likely. What's more likely is the athlete using stuff that falls into the grey area, not knowing exactly what's in it, and finding out after the fact that it does contain something that's on the banned substances list.

Which brings me back to my original argument.... You're a pro athlete. You better damn well know exactly what you're putting down your throat at all times. Period.

Edit: There are 100's of athletes in the NFL and MLB that all use supplements, but pass all their drug tests. I'm sure someone at Sherk's level of this game could talk to a trainer for one of these other athletes, figure out what products are consistently safe, and recommend these supplements over the stuff that has 12 page ads in Muscle and Fitness magazine.

11. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Following your logic, then 1 in 4 athletes (since 25% of the samples had 'roids in them) in other sports should be getting popped for banned substances since it's a result of error that any company can make. But we don't see that happening, do we?

12. ilduce

ilduce New Member

The chances of catching a contaminated supplement are slim at best. Im not hear defending Sherk or crucifying him either but to make a statement that he has to know 100% is ridiculous. If the maker does mess up it may never be caught or it may be in a small batch. I would be willing to venture a guess that we have all taken some sort of contaminated substance at least once. I mean heck they had that big study speaking that consumer reports did and found that the vitamin shops female vitamins were contaminated with high amounts of lead! Also, how do we know a supplement is consistently safe, I believe only California actually does tests on their supplements but even from batch to batch things can happen. Going to Wal-mart and picking up fish oil or amino acids could easily be contaminated without anyone knowing.

Furthermore read this http://www.fasterskier.com/training101.html

The bottom line is something like an amino acid or even whey could easily become contaminated and if you dont think that is possible you are retarded.

13. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I don't think anyone said it wasn't possible.

My point is if you're making your living using your body, you should know what's going in it at all times. For a supplement using athlete, that means only using the best of the best supplements instead of some shady shit at the corner GNC.

14. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

What are the best of the best supplements?

15. Sylva

Sylva New Member

So they should test every drop of every supplement that goes into their body before using it?

If not, there is no way for them to do what your saying. The by the products, look at the ingredients and it's supposed to be ok, yet some are still not. What are they supposed to do?

16. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I don't know. I'm not a personal trainer to professional athletes.

17. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I see you don't have logical answers for any of the questions striking down your argument. Just half wit "Who me" responses.

18. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I have logical answers. If you're paid to know what Joe Fighter over there can use, then you better make sure that what you're giving him is what it's supposed to be.

That may mean foregoing endorsement deals with a manufacturer of Brand X because you've used Brand Y with good results and never a problem for years with your other fighters. Or it means you talk to other trainers and get their opinions on products before you start letting your athlete use it. Or you pay close attention to drug testing in your sport, find out who's using what when they get popped, hear their side of the story, and maybe remember that brand when you need to replenish his supply.

It's all part of being a professional trainer or athlete.

19. ilduce

ilduce New Member

The point is even the supposed reputable supplements can still get contaminated.