LGBT Study links genes, male homosexuality

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NOVAJock, Oct 14, 2004.

1. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Study links genes, male homosexuality

Wednesday, October 13, 2004 Posted: 12:52 PM EDT (1652 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Genetic factors, along with cultural and early experiences, influence male homosexuality, Italian scientists said on Wednesday.

Researchers at the University of Padua said the genetic components are linked to the X chromosome which is inherited only from the mother. But they are probably on other chromosomes and could partly explain male homosexuality.

"The key factor is that these genes both influence homosexuality in men, higher fecundity in females and are in the maternal and not the paternal line," Andrea Camperio-Ciani, who headed the research team, said in an interview.

More than a decade ago scientists in the United States reported that they had found evidence of a "gay gene" in men. But other researchers questioned the finding when they could not duplicate the results.

Camperio-Ciani and his team suggest there several genes could be involved, including those on the X chromosome.

In their research, which is reported in the Proceedings of the Royal Society, they found an increase in homosexuality in the maternal line of gay men they studied which suggests the X chromosome.

"We know that at least one of these genetic factors in on the X chromosome but that it not enough, there must be other genetic factors that are important but are elsewhere," Camperio-Ciani added.

The results are based on a study of 98 homosexual and 100 heterosexual men and about 4,600 of their relatives. The scientists compared the frequency of gay men on the maternal and paternal lines of the families.

Among homosexuals there were a greater number of gay men in the maternal line of the family, as well as greater fertility in the female relatives.

An early interest in sex before the age of 10 was also a predictor of homosexuality, according to the researchers.

"We can no longer say that is it impossible to have a gene that influences homosexuality because we found out that genes might have different effects depending on gender," Camperio-Ciani.

But he added that cultural and individual experience also play a part.

2. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Back in 93, they found the same results, but then couldn't replicate them. And being as Test, Retest is needed for validity, people pretty much dropped it. Hmmmm... Let’s wait and see what happens.

3. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

actually test/retest is needed for reliability. Reliability deals with the ability to replicate results. Validity deals with the concepts in the study being accurately measured in the methodology.

There has been much research already done on the study on homosexuality being something chosen or just born with. The most recent research by Holden (2003), a senior tenured member off the Nat'l Institution of Health, states that over 50% of gay males have the XQ28 gene in their DNA. This might be something that holds importance in seeing that gay people are born gay.

The forefather of gay studies is Simon Levay, who studied the brains of donated cadavers of gay men. As a member of the Salk Institute for Biological Research, Levay noted structural differences in the brains of heterosexual and homosexual males. However, there was much skepticism from the right wing community, who contended that the brains were different because the donated cadavers were of people who died from AIDS. They speculated that AIDS itself might have caused these differences, or that the gay lifestyle itself created these differences. (Lifestyle to me is waking up at 6am to run, eating healthy. Loving who you love in my opinion is not lifestyle then).

The study was repeated by Dick Schwab of the Netherlands Inst. of Brain Research in Amsterdam. Transexuals were also added in the study and were found to also have structural differences from those of heterosexuals in the hypothalamis. There was also more activity in the electrical circuits so to speak between neurons.

Well what does this research all say? Well some say that it's evidence that people are just born either straight or gay. HOWEVER, one must realize the SUBJECTIVENESS of research. Littlejohn and Foss (2005) conceptualize academic research as "lens" to reality rather than a "mirror." Therefore, what we see isn't a pure reflection, but rather an outlook filtered by bias, beliefs, experiences, and many other individual and group factors.

4. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

:squint: my brain hurts now. you're still in "academic mode" aren't you? lemme know when it's done.

5. coma

coma New Member

That study coulda been about me. I have a lesbian mother and there are a lot of gays on her side of the family and they (her family) are quite fecund.

6. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

i am a muthafuckin academic biatch! :) I'm playing it butch for awhile. My friends were in town and they said i got gayer. kekeke.

But i'll "light your fire" anytime. ;)

7. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

if you're gonna use those newly developed "flames" to light it, then I'm gonna have to pass.:fawk: When you butch it up a lil more, then gimme a holler. ;)

8. CoCo

Excuse my misuse of the rhetoric. But the point that I was making remains the same. Older studies have been dismissed from the scientific community based on the inability to replicate findings.

9. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

Sorry! Like i said, i've been thrushed into this academic way of thinking! If the older studies can't be replicated, the methodology must have some issues as well. Or it could be the fact that all was done correct and the research fell into the 5% void of not catering to the rest of society.

10. CoCo

11. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

ill check into it, thanks! :)

12. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

you're a psyche major and you've never discussed these things? My intro to psych class was well...half of the semester was devoted to studies and all that mumbo jumbo.

Although it comes in handy, as a few days ago I found a PhD disertation from "saybrook" university (some humanistic only crap college) that was poorly done. And then I emailed them asking about their college :rofl:

13. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

hey hey hey! there is nothing wrong to humanistic type of studies. I actually think qualitative ethnographic studies kick some major ass! ;)