A&P studio set for car lightning suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SenenCito, May 12, 2006.

1. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

I am working with a magazine and the owner is about to make an investment in studio lighting..the requirements are simple, they have to be solid lights, he doesnt like flashes and batteries so the are portable are recommended, I know there are a few car gurus here, what kits do you recommend, full blown studio kits.

2. Blair

Blair New Member

This guy is a pretty famous automotive photographer, www.izui.com

There is a arcticle in this months "Digital Photo Pro" about him; he doesnt go into a lot of detail on his lighting setups but I will scan in some of his comments.

3. Blair

Blair New Member

4. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

I agree with Blair, definitely check out some of Isuzu's marketing material for ideas. You can probably get a brochure at your local dealership. I've seen some nice brochures put out by Honda too.

5. I gotta check out dem pics later :)

6. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

bump for more help..his ideas are quite nice..I definitly understand the reason ing behind them..was jsut curious if there is an all in one kit for this

7. mojito

mojito New Member

natural light ftw

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

So you dont want speedlites? AB's are about the best value for money around. Thats AlienBees

9. oliver

oliver New Member

that guy shoots all his cars in like a studio...i wonder how much skill he has outside...:hsugh:

10. mojito

mojito New Member

the whole idea of studio lighting is replicating natural light. if you can master indoor lighting, you can do outdoor lighting

11. true but you can't control outdoor lighting as well as you can indoor lighting.

I think anyone with a shitload of $$ spent in professional studio lighting can take excellent studio shots, if not they should give me some lights so I could put them to some good use. I'd kill for some studio lighting, i'd be using that shit all the time finding new ways to the lights indoors and out.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

just cause you have studio lights doesn't make you a master by any means, theres some crappy crappy ass studio pics out there. but yeah you can control it a little easier

13. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

id love flashes personally, but im not the person making the choice, it has to be continuous ligfhting

14. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

ah thats what you ment by solid. there are plenty of cool monoblocs around.

make sure you get something that is a gas discharge type, they provide much better light per heat output & also have a close to daylight colour temperature.

If you need cheap, go to an electrical wholesaler. You can pick up discharge lamps in lumineres for outdoor gardens / carparks fairly cheap. Look for metal halide types.

15. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Kinoflo makes some very nice florescence fixtures that are daylight balanced. It's important to keep your lights either daylight or tungsten (3200-3400k) balanced for proper color rendetion. The other option (and my choice) is to buy a huge silk and frame and hang it in the studio. Above the silk, mount four-2k open face tungsten lights. These are film/video lights. Then use kino-flo's or soft boxes for accent lights around the car.