Studio Monitors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Jan 14, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm in the market for a new set of computer speakers. Budget is $500. I have listened to all the "computer speaker" setups that you can buy at local retailers and I notice one common trait -- they all suck! I was going to purchase another HT in-a-box setup and use that, when it dawned on me..... Studio monitors!

Anyway, I went to Guitar Center and I was recommended a pair of Yamaha HS50M studio monitors. I was also recommended to take advantage of the balanced XLR input. Cabling and monitors would run me just under $400.

Are these good monitors? Do you have other recommendations for good monitors under $500 for a pair?

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I have ap air of KRK V6's that I like alot, and they run about $700. You can get V4's for about $500, and the rokit series is a bit less spendy, but also pretty decent.

3. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

My setup cost just about that and I love it.

Onix X-LS speakers from www.av123.com ~$260 shipped
    Adcom gfp-555 pre-amp from ebay ~ $100
    Adcom gfa-535 power amp from ebay ~$100

Cost about $500 for the trio and sounds great.

They sound good while I am sitting at the desk but sound even better when I go back a couple more feet. Maybe studio monitors would sound better in the near-field. . .

Instead of the Adcom separates you could get very similar sound out of a NAD 3020 integrated amplifier. (runs about 100 but isn't as loud. . .you could later use the 3020 as a preamp and use an external amp with more wattage)

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I was considering a set of the Rokits V6 for the same price as the Yamaha's... Between the two, which would you choose? The pro audio guy at guitar center was pretty enthusiastic towards the Yamaha and he didn't care for the Rokits...

5. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

are you looking for passive or active monitors?

6. TFunkadelic

I haven't used the yamahas, have heard good htings about them. If you search around forums on the net you'll find that both the rokits and yam's seem to receive pretty favorable reviews, and I liked the KRK's alright hwne I used them in store.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

active.

8. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

may I ask why?

going active seems to limit your upgrade path

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

these are being used as computer speakers. I have limited space for the actual speakers (must fit on a desk) and I really don't have any space to place an independent receiver or amplifier.

Cost is the other reason. $500 seems to buy a nice pair of active monitors. However, to get anything better in passive monitors would cost a lot more when you factor in the amp.

Some research online has me believing the Yamahas are a really good deal. I like what people are saying about the control built into them.

10. TFunkadelic

And on the other hand, you get amplifiers that are tailor made for the drivers/enclosure/application...there are trade offs to both approaches.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Okay, I purchased the Yamaha HS50M's today... So far, I'm impressed. Only time will tell if I made the right decision. I will be purchasing the matching Yamaha sub in the future -- the reviews for that are equally positive, and the idea of having a sub matched to the monitors is nice.

However, I have a problem. I need a way to switch between headphones and monitors without climbing behind the system and unplugging one and plugging in the other. Any ideas without having to go to a discrete mixer?

12. TFunkadelic

you can get little switch boxes on the cheap...your computers sound card doesn't have a dedicated headphone out?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it does, but it doesn't appear to work... It cuts off the studio monitors, but nothing comes out of the headphones... If I plug the headphones in the line-out, then it works.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry for crappy pics, that's my camera phone :hs:

15. TFunkadelic

lookin good.

16. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

17. TFunkadelic

He needs 1/4 inch TRS or XLR connections, which that doesn't have, but you can get some adapters that'll do it up right.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm using balanced XLR's for my input... Guitar Center had a switch that's perfect, but $299 is a little more than I was thinking to spend. Although it's big and completely overkill, I may just buy a mixer.

19. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Or get a pro soundcard with XLR connectors.