A&P Studio Help Inside

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Uthinkso, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Uthinkso

Uthinkso Tattoo Canvas

Oct 23, 2001
    Hey all.

I am weighing the perils of doing some studo work for a friend that does dress design. All of my previous work has been outdoor stuff, but I have been wanting to give studio stuff a try.

I have worked with models before so I've already gotten my feet wet on that front, but I have never been in a studio situation before.

If anyone has done some studio please share some of the basics or major pitfalls that you encountered. Also how do you hook up to the external flash (a.k.a. Umbrellas).

Thanks in Advance :)
  2. Jcolman

Jcolman Active Member OT Supporter

Aug 19, 2002
    Shooting in a studio requires a knowledge of lighting and, obviously, having the right tools. A typical studio will have seamless backdrops, set pieces, drapes, props and half dozen or so lights. You will also find a variety of flags, scrims and nets to control the light along with the required C stands to hold them. Lighting a studio shot can be as simple as a key light, hair or rim light and a set light. It can also get quite complex, depending on the requirements of the shot. I've lit studio scenes where I used 12 lights in a 20' x 30' studio just to get the desired results. I've also lit simple shots with three lights and a reflector.

At a minimum you'll need three lights, some white foamcore boards and a background. You'll also need stands to hold the lights and foamcore. BTW, foamcore is used as "bounce" cards to soften a direct light source. It's very useful in fashion or glamor photography. As for hooking up the flash, that you'll have to figure out for yourself as evey unit is a bit different. I can tell you that many photographers use the key light connected directly to the flash trigger on the camera, and "slave" units on the other lights that fire the lights from the key light.

Setting up the lights in the right configuration is the art of photography. Get a good book, like the 35mm photographers handbook by Julian Calder and John Garrett as a starting point.