Studies to debunk creatine/protein heath risk myths?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by C4, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

I know we have all at one stage or another had someone tell us 'OMG you take XXXX? That stuff is bad for your XXXX!~!!!@!#!'

well, recently i have been on the receiving end of these type of statements and rather than blatantly try to argue that there is way too much bullshit surrounding the topic, i would like to find some real proof to debunk these myths (if there is any of course)

:x:

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

3. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

4. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Wait, what?

People think protein is dangerous?:ugh2:

Guess I better go back to a twinkie only diet.

5. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Sugar and preservatives FTMFW!

6. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

The only thing I'd say is that the AMOUNTS of protein we intake probably are excessive and a lot of the info we take for granted is probably to do with supplement companies.

I've never seen a study where anything over 0.8g protein per 1lb bodyweight produced greater gains. I know some people eat as much as 2g/lb, which is, IMO, excessive.. like I said this sort of thinking is probably because of supplement company marketing.

I usually hit around 1g/lb and I drink lots of water so I'm not worried about my kidneys just yet.

As for creatine - some people get cramping from it, but it's very simple to avoid - just don't take it. I've never seen a long term study on this though.

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yeah, taking too much protein is dangerous but taking too much carb/fat/calories is unhealhty anyway... :rolleyes:

8. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Since I am taking a class on analyzing studies I tried to put some of that stuff to work. The first one is the best because it sorta resemebles a randomized clinical trial although it did not last for very long. The second one really doesn't carry much weight bc it is just a meta analysis of different studies. One thing to consider is that renal function is measured by measuring serum creatinine in the urine, so taking the supplement could alter that. So it is important that your doc know you are on it if you are having any sorta renal tests.

PURPOSE: Determine the short-term effects of creatine supplementation on performance of military tasks, thermoregulation, and health risks. METHODS: Male military personnel were randomly assigned to a creatine (CR; N = 8) or a placebo (CON; N = 8) supplementation group. Testing was conducted at baseline, after a 6-day load phase (20 g/d), and after 4 weeks of taking 6 g/d. Measurements included body composition, liver/kidney function tests, core body temperatures during a 10-mile march and 5-mile run, and performance on physical tasks. RESULTS: Serum and urine creatine increased significantly in the CR group. Body mass and number of pull-ups performed increased significantly in the CR group but not the CON group by week 4. No significant differences between the CR and CON groups were found for other performance measures, body composition, core body temperature, or other biochemical measures. CONCLUSION: Creatine supplementation increased body mass and pull-up performance but did not cause acute health problems. Creatine did not increase core temperature compared with placebo under the environmental conditions of the study, and it is unlikely that creatine will enhance the overall readiness or performance of soldiers.

Creatine is a popular supplement used by athletes in an effort to increase muscle performance. The purpose of this review was to assess the literature evaluating the effects of creatine supplementation on renal function. A PubMed search was conducted to identify relevant articles using the keywords, creatine, supplementation, supplements, renal dysfunction, ergogenic aid and renal function. Twelve pertinent articles and case reports were identified. According to the existing literature, creatine supplementation appears safe when used by healthy adults at the recommended loading (20 gm/day for five days) and maintenance doses (</=3 gm/day). In people with a history of renal disease or those taking nephrotoxic medications, creatine may be associated with an increased risk of renal dysfunction. One case report of acute renal failure was reported in a 20-year-old man taking 20 gm/day of creatine for a period of four weeks. There are few trials investigating the long-term use of creatine supplementation in doses exceeding 10 gm/day. Furthermore, the safety of creatine in children and adolescents has not been established. Since creatine supplementation may increase creatinine levels, it may act as a false indicator of renal dysfunction. Future studies should include renal function markers other than serum creatinine and creatinine clearance.

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Meta analysis don't carry much weight ? I think they're pretty important since they have a greater power because of the greater N of the studies but it's true that the studies they get the info from can be quite inconsistent. Even a RCT doesn't even have a lot of importance since one of the main point of science is replicability and that's a bit what meta-analyses are for after all.

10. slang4lavatory

slang4lavatory New Member

tell them to show you studies that say they are dangerous.

11. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

You know nothing if you think meta analysis is better than RCT.

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

They sure aren't going to make science go forward but they offer a review that is way more important to the regular joe than RCT can. Often, the internal validity is balanced by a lack of ecological validity (or whatever these terms are in English).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.