Students with 12in powerbook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Legend Zero, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Hey guys,

I am really liking the powerbook. I'm going to be a freshman and college and need this laptop to last me 4 yrs, i won't be doing anything intense. Just surfing the web, email, word processing, and maybe some small gaming (sims or simcity...). The thing is, it will be sitting in my dorm desk most of the time probally, and i'm not so sure about the 12inch screen. I checked out the 14in ibook, but i just like the feel of the powerbook alot more.

Question is, does anyone have the 12in pb, and who use it as their main laptop in school or something, where it sits on a desk prob for 70% of the time. Is the screen enough for you?

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

better figure to keep in mind is the screen res, which is either 1024x768 or 1280x1024... I can't remember which.

Keep in mind that if you ever find the need to, you could always hook up an external monitor to the machine (even 15-17" LCD panels are getting cheap these days). Better still, with the Powerbook you can use it as a second monitor, instead of just a mirrored display :coold: So when you're in the dorm, set up your desktop screen as the primary monitor, and the PB screen as a secondary for AIM, torrents, etc.

3. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

I use my 12" pb as my main computer, and coming from a 16" crt, the display is actually pretty nice. It has the same resolution as my old display, so as long as you have good eyes, you'll be fine, because everything will just be a little smaller looking.

4. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

there's a pretty simple hack that allows the ibook to use a 2nd display also instead of a mirrored one. :)

5. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

I was thinking about the second display option. The only problem i have with that is that im kinda already streching my price for the powerbook, espc after taxes and such it will come out to be quite alot. I'm not sure if i can afford the external monitor, even the app will have to wait a year, cuz i cant afford to get it right now, it would just be too much. I'm pretty sure i'm going to get it tho, cuz i know if i don't, i will always wonder how the apple would have been!

I'd still like any experiances! Right now i am on a 19inch flatscreen crt or w.e.. it has a 1024x768 resolution as well. So resolution stays constant, but the screen size changes dramatically from what i am used too! I'm also used to windows tho, lol, so that's another big change!

Another question i have, idk if anyone has used winamp tv for windows, but its pretty nifty, cuz they have some good movies rarely, but they always play family guy, simpsons, and sometimes some other "okay" shows... is there any free internet tv like this for apple's?

6. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

I've got a 12" ibook, 95% of the time it's going to be on your desk. I personally regret going for the 12" over the 14" or a 15" powerbook, so I would recommend going for something a bit bigger. It's just more convenient because odds are it'll leave your room maybe twice the entire year.

And if all you're going to be doing is word processing, e-mail and a few games, I would recommend you to just get the 14" ibook and add a little ram to it. It'll be perfect for what you're going to use it for :)

7. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Hey guys, i'm not much of an internet buyer, and i'm actually scared of shopping from ebay, but i think i might have too! I have found the perfect deal on there, and this would be perfect for me! I am just scared of getting ripped off on ebay..

Here is the thread if anyone who is a more avid ebay buyer can tell me if it seems fake or not!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5791059165&category=14909&rd=1#ShippingPayment

I'd be willing to spend up to like 1400, seeing as tho the seller says that its still under the 1 yr warrenty, so i can purchase the applecare!

8. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

Seems pretty nice, but I would expect the price to jump quite a bit as the auction draws nearer to it's final moments :hs:

9. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

That's what a friend told me too! I guess ill just buy a new 12in pb.. I am a little surprised, i was looking at the 12inch powerbooks, and they hold their value very well! There is no way you can get 80% of the value of a windows laptop after 5-6 months! Worst case scenario, i could sell it if the screen really becomes that big of a problem.. but idk, everyone that switches to apple just seems to fall in love with it, i hope it will be the same for me! :)

10. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

11. inamorata

inamorata New Member

screen is plenty...buy it!