Student discount question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jun 30, 2008.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I went to the Apple store this weekend to buy a Macbook with the student discount and with the current incentives you get $99 rebate towards a printer and $299 towards an ipod touch plus a $$$ discount on the actual computer seems like a decent deal.

But here is the question that I had that made be hold off on the purchase. This has been somewhat answered before, but I can't find info on my situation.

I was in grad school for a few semesters and then stopped taking classes about 2 years ago. I still have my student id. When I go into the store, will they verify with the school that I am a "current student" or do you just have to show them the id? My concern is that while processing the rebate, Apple may contact the school...

For those of you that used the student discount at an actual Apple store and not your computer store on campus, did you just show your ID? Or did they write down your student number can call the university? Anyone out there use a student discount with a student id, but you aren't a student anymore?

My concern is that I don't want to buy an ipod with the expectation of a rebate that will essentially reimburse me of the expense. Then have Apple come back and say sorry we cannot honor the rebate you aren't a student...AND we cannot let you return the ipod. So then I get stuck with a $299 ipod that I don't need.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

They ask for an ID and that's it. In the past I've forgotten my ID for the corp discount and they still honored it. The amount of time required for them to verify the enrollment of everyone using the student discount while this promo is going on wouldn't be worth it.

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Guaranteed they won't question it. All they will want is a school ID and a drivers license. They only look at the school ID and take down the drivers license number, but there's not much of any significance to it. You'll get the money back.

4. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Same as what everyone else said... all they do is look at it and confirm you are a student... they don't look anything up...

5. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I went to the Apple store last night and got a macbook. You guys are right...all they did was look at the ID. I still have to submit the rebate, but hopefully that goes as smoothly. I got the "educators" discount on just about everything I purchased. Nice!

6. hurleyint1386

The educators discount is the exact same as the students discount. The only difference is that they get the one-to-one service for $20 less

7. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

And if you forget to bring your ID the guy said he would just want me to open my university email account as verification.

8. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

what about getting multiple computers on 1 student id. both my mom and i want to get macs. mbp for me mb for her.i know they say one per person per year but if we go on different days and try to get them will that work. i just graduated college and they delete all grad emails but i still have my id.

9. hurleyint1386

They track it by the students drivers license number.

10. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

ok. thanks