stuck on what to buy

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by caucasion, Mar 12, 2007.

1. caucasion

caucasion New Member

ive read multiple forums and received different advice from every one on what is a good beginners bike. overall, the general point of view is nothing over 600cc for a new rider to the sportsbike world. most people suggest that a 250 or a 500 ninja are good bikes for beginners while others say the sv650 is a good bike. ive also hear that the earlier cbr models, f2 etc, are good for starters because they're forgiving. what im getting at is wheres the best place to starT? ive also heard rumors of 400 cc bikes that can last you a long time, since they're the perfect balance between the 250 and the 600. anyone have any suggestions?

2. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

Those are all pretty good starter bikes, but I would stay away from a newer sv650.

Some will say a 250 won't have enough get up for heavy traffic. If you can find an older F2 by all means pick it up.

The best rule of thumb is to just buy something cheap and used. You are bound to drop it, whether its in your driveway or low siding in a turn. Its going to hit the pavement sooner or later and if its an older bike, the damage won't be as catastrophic. You also have to think of it as your first bike and not your last, you have plenty of time to learn how to ride and eventually buy that show room bike.

3. caucasion

caucasion New Member

well what ive been leaning towards is getting a used sv650. a few years old and they're under 3k. i figure get a naked one sincei know i will drop it, log in some seirous hours, and then get something newer, or kit the sv to my liking

4. YodaHart

YodaHart New Member

I bought Yamaha's 600R as my first bike a little over a year ago and I love it. I already have over 16k miles with no problems. I even took it to the track a couple times.

5. caucasion

caucasion New Member

are you the same yodahart that lives in orlando?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

I disagree. There's no "best" rule of thumb.

IMO the best thing to do is buy the bike you're going to ride and make sure you're careful and actually learn to ride it. I'd ridden a little bit and then took MSF and went home and bought a 1450cc cruiser and have 8k miles on it without a problem. If I bought a 650 or 750 and 'upgraded' after 2 years I'd be learning to ride a new bike again.

A used sv650 is probably a good choice, but don't be surprised if you end up liking it and keeping it longer than you expected to.

7. YodaHart

YodaHart New Member

Yeah...and u are?

8. caucasion

caucasion New Member

check ur pm

9. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I would also suggest the SV650

10. FKY326

FKY326 New Member

IMO its better/easier to learn on smaller bikes, esp with sportbikes. Throttle control is not something that you really want to learn on bigger bikes. a little too much power coming out of a turn on a 600cc will not be something that can put you on your ass as easily as on a 1000cc.

smaller bikes are also easier to throw around since they weigh less and most will still outperform every sports car out there. my RR does the quarter in 10-11 seconds (according to mags, i've never actually dragged it) will do 150+mph (also never been this fast)

Taking what you've learned from a smaller bike and applying it to a larger bike is not that difficult. the only difference would be the added weight and power, but if you have enough experience with the smaller bike then it really shouldn't be a problem.

maybe i'm biased though as i dont really see a reason for a sport bike bigger than 600cc for everyday street use.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

They all have their issues, though. For sportbikes it's throttle control, for cruisers it's weight and turning. I knew I wanted a cruiser. My point is if I'd have bought a 750 to practice and then sold it to buy the bigger bike I really wanted i would have wasted my money.

It depends on which sportbike. Like I said above I've ridden a ninja 600 that felt like a toy and I've ridden a CBR600 that I would have been happy with for a long time.