SRS stuck in life, no idea what to do

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copperhead035, Feb 19, 2006.

1. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I need some advice, I feel like I'm in a place in life where I'm not at all happy, but don't know what direction to go in from here.

Right now I've got a job that most would consider to be good. I am 22 years old, making about $20/hour. The problem is, I absolutely hate my job. I need to find something else to do with my life, but I have no clue what kind of job I would enjoy, and would allow me to live like I do now.

I've been seriously thinking about finishing up college. I screwed around a lot while I'm there, but I'm pretty sure that if I were to get back into Ohio State, I would have enough credits to be a senior. However, I went off in so many directions that I have no idea how long it would take me to actually graduate. I have no problem going back to the community college here, I've taken plenty of classes there already. The problem is, my parents say that they will no longer help me out financially, except pay part of my tuition. The other problem is that I work night shift, 10 hour shifts, and the place I work at is on a rotating 7 day schedule, so I never have the same days off. This makes it difficult to go to classes and still manage to get any sleep.

When I first got this job last april, I made the mistake of going out and buying a vehicle that I could afford, but didn't leave me with enough breathing room to allow for savings. I still have my old truck that is paid off, and I'm planning on putting up for sale. I also picked up another car that I have barely any money in that gets far better gas milage than my truck, so I'm planning on keeping it. But, I'm over my head right now on the Tundra so I can't really get out of it yet.

I also have student loans to pay off, cell phone, rent (moving back in with the parents/family is not an option, they live 2 hours away) car payments and insurance. My bills are around $1,000/month, so I can't just quit this place and work elsewhere, because I won't be able to afford it.

If I were to sell the Tacoma, I would have enough money to pull me out of negative equity on the Tundra, but I don't think my fiero would be reliable enough to keep driving, and it's definately not comfortable for any kind of a long trip.

Basically, I need to figure out if I should stick this job out and try to go to college at the same time, which will definately stress me out. Or should I elimate my debt and get a different job, go back to school, yet get paid about half as much, and have to be worried about my car, but otherwise be happy? Also, who can I talk to about figuring out what kind of career would be right for me? My parents are no help at this point, and my friend's are only doing marginally better, so any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks OT :hs:

2. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Dump both your cars and pick up a cheap commuter, in less you absolutely have to have a pickup for work or something. Also, look into a company which offers tuition assistance. UPS comes to mind. Basically, they pay your way through college, and you promise to stick with them for a certain amount of time ( and from what I have heard, they are actually a great company to work for). Personally, I think you just need to reduce youe costs to the bare necesity so you can get some savings going.

Short term, you will lose money. However tons of studies have shown that getting a college degree is the most effective investment you can make in yourself.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Along the exellent idea above, you have to 'totally' change your attitude, it can be much more of a struggle then you initialy think to get a 'study' attitude, it requires a enviroment in which you will 'not be bothered' and where you can surround yourself with people that will motivate you into completing your study.