Strych's Used Car Quest V.2: WRX out, VR-4 in, VS Supra

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Strychnine, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Strychnine

Strychnine Guest

Alright, so from what I've been hearing (ibflames) the wrx tranny just isn't up to the task of modificatinos other then very low-end bolt on stuff. With that and a little more info I've read about it's tall gearing and other whatnot, I decided to eliminate it with a little stronger AWD platform to put up against the Supra, which currently has my heart, despte the rice-inflation.

The VR-4 is a very, imho, misunderstood platform. I think it has alot, alot alot of potential, and I've driven one before and was impressed. It has alot of oomph which is nice. I know it's heavier then shit, and I'm not sure about the reliability, but I'd like to hear from owners, and spark a new debate.

The two cars will be about the same price, although the VR-4 I may be able to aquire with 10k fewer miles. I'm looking around the 18K price range, give or take. With that in mind, what does OT think?

2. Strychnine

Strychnine Guest

bump, to try and get some input like that last thread

3. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

I'd rather have the VR-4 but that's just me.

4. Supreme Allah

Supreme Allah The terrorists won.

i'd rather have the vr-4

5. Strychnine

Strychnine Guest

Any reasons? You think the supra is overpriced, you like the AWD platform better?

What about reliability? Is it going to be worth it buying a VR-4 with over 80k miles on it?

6. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

3000GT VR-4, not Galant VR-4 right?

7. Jspec180

Jspec180 New Member

wrx trannies are not as bad as you have heard. the vr4 is more likely to break down than the wrx will since they are older and made from mitsubishi... the wrx has better handling than the vr4 since like you said is really overwieght. i dont see very many modified vr4's around and they are not too popular in japan either. i would go with the supra then wrx then vr4. but thats my opinion.

8. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

I don't have any problems with Supras. They're nice cars, I just prefer the look of the VR-4.

By the way, the VR-4 is just as overpriced(if not more so). I don't know about their reliability although common sense says that if you go around doing AWD launches in a 3800+lb car, something's going to give.

My only real gripes about the VR-4 are that you can't go wider than 8 inches on the rims and I heard the 4 wheel steering system has some issues.

9. Strychnine

Strychnine Guest

Yeah, 3000gt VR-4, not galant, sorry

10. RedVVing19

RedVVing19 Steve Yzerman > Hockey

vr4's, whether they be galants or 3000gt are overpriced

however galants are fucking outragous

11. Strychnine

Strychnine Guest

Well everything I've heard about the WRX tranny is that it is wonderful, UNTIL you start putting more power down ont he ground, and then the problems begin.

The VR-4's are a bit pricey, I understand that, I'm hoping to find one from some old fart who just bought it to look young in, not launch like hell. Theres actually a few like that around here, more so then supras, although I'm more likely to trust the supra drive.

plus, most people aren't going to expect the VR-4 to knock their doors off. thats always fun. Another nice thing is theres a shop dedicated to the GT's here in CA, not far from me

12. Supreme Allah

Supreme Allah The terrorists won.

any high mileage performance car, you're gonna be dealing with reliability. people dont buy these things to piddle around in them, i always laugh when i see a description for something like a zo6 that reads "60k easy highway miles". :rofl: my fucking ass

either one is an awesome ride, you really cant lose. drive BOTH of them and see which one fits

13. Ruiner

Ruiner Evil Inside

Closer to 250lbs+ for a 2nd gen.

14. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

depends if you know how to drive and realize you're in an awd car :dunno:

15. Ruiner

Ruiner Evil Inside

Strychnine, I owned a '97 3000GT VR-4 that was at just above BPU level for just over 3.5 yrs. If you have ANY questions please let me know. I can tell you everything that you need to know about VR-4s. :)

16. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

They probably know of people selling GTs in your area. You might want to check with them.

17. Cory

Cory . OT Supporter

Hmmm... What do you want this car for? Drag? Daily driver? Track car? Autocross? What?

I needed my WRX because I needed 4 doors and AWD. I also wanted something new, so it wouldn't break down. There are alot of people with 300+ lb/ft using stock trannies w/o problems, you just can't launch like a retard. If your planning on modding this car, how far are you looking to go? If you want something that can hit 11's(and you have lots of funds), go with the Supra. If you want something that can tear up an autocross course, get into the 12's(EASILY), reliable, 4 doors, AWD, I'd say WRX.

But if I were you I WOULD NEVER buy a 3000gt.

18. Strychnine

Strychnine Guest

The car is going to be a daily driver, a weekend autocrosser, and thats it. I don't really drag but if some clown with his SRT-4 pulls up beside me, I sure as hell don't want him anywhere but in the rearview.

I want to lightly mod, not into the 11's, but I doubt I'm going to leave any turbo system on any of the three cars untouched. I don't have alot of money to mod, but I'm going to go above bolt-ons, for sure.

19. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

Can you put a '94 front end on a '93 model? If so, what about a '99 front end on a '93?

20. Jspec180

Jspec180 New Member

if you happen to break the wrx tranny, STi RA gears, $1449 shipped.
    wrx>*

21. Ruiner

Ruiner Evil Inside

Yes, but it will require different headlights. With that said, just find me on AIM or Yahoo!: RuinerTT

22. calteg

calteg Those who would sacrifice personal liberty for sec OT Supporter

Don't take things so seriously...life will kill yo
    Tough call.
    If it's going to be your DD, then I'd go supra simply because Toyota = bulletproof reliability

23. Ruiner

Ruiner Evil Inside

Just find me on AIM or Yahoo!.

ruinertt

Too much to type in a PM.

24. Ruiner

Ruiner Evil Inside

Any AWD tranny will break if you beat on it.

The inside is tiny? Really? Hmmmmm. I wouldn't agree, but okay.

25. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

Whoever says the VR-4 is a heavy pig, but thinks supra's are god are just plain ignorant - weight isn't THAT much of a difference.

With that said - it depends on what you want with the car...i don't know where you get overpriced with vr4's as you can get them for good condition for like $8000 if you look right (1st gen of course) 2nd gen anything for $17-24k is going to be gorgeous. Since Supra's are like 50K i don't think VR4's are overpriced AT ALL

See what you like out of them. The WRX will be lighter and quicker - take better to mods. VR4's don't have THAT much potential when it comes to modding...yes you can make them fast..but after a bit..it dies off...considering the fastest vr4/tt stealth is in the high 10's....

WRX - warranty as well.. VR4 - nope.

As for maintenance...the VR4 and it's tranny can be a BITCH and cost MULTI thousand dollars to repair/replace. Just don't go around dropping it at high rpm's to experience awd launches - and you'll be fine.

Try each car out...go to www.3si.org for 3000gt/stealth info and see what you like - with the VR4 make sure to inspect it RELIGIOUSLY and test drive it to see it shifts smoothly in all gears for sure. As for the interior - pass and driver have plenty of room, two back seats - might as well not have them ;)