MMA Strong Rumor: Affliction MMA is done.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by rem177, Jan 30, 2009.

1. rem177

rem177 OT Supporter

It appears that Affliction Clothing Company probably won't be promoting fights anymore. Rumblings around the MMA world are that they are just losing too much money. MMALogic and Michael Rome from Bloodyelbow first heard the possibility.

Michael Rome update.

2. rem177

rem177 OT Supporter

and what everyone wants to know (assuming this is true - which it certainly seems to be) is where does Fedor go from here?

3. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Tom Atencio: Rumors of impending demise "a complete lie"

by John Morgan and Dann Stupp on Jan 30, 2009 at 1:45 am ET
    [​IMG]No stranger to defending the financial viability of his fledgling MMA promotion, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio is once again standing behind the future of Affliction Entertainment.

Less than a week removed from the organization's second effort, "Day of Reckoning," Atencio told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that rumors of an upcoming shutdown are unequivocally untrue.

"It's a complete lie," Atencio said. "I don't know where it came from."

Atencio said that a third event is currently in the works for Affliction, and that details for the show will soon be released.

"We're looking at three to four months when we'll do the next fight," Atencio said. "The bottom line is we're here. We're coming up on the next event, and we'll give the date pretty soon."

On Thursday a rash of Internet reports suggested that Atencio himself had admitted to the impending halt in Affliction Entertainment's operations. The appearance reportedly came during Thursday's edition of "The Tom Leykis Show," a syndicated CBS Radio program. A few Internet reports also suggested the fight promotion's end was near and could even be officially announced in the coming days.

Atencio said not only did he not make an appearance on the radio show but that he has never been a guest of the program.

"I've never even been on the 'Tom Leykis Show,'" Atencio said. "The biggest radio show that I've been on is 'Frosty, Heidi and Frank,' which is the same radio station. But I've never been on 'The Tom Leykis Show.'"

While Atencio admitted he was disappointed that he was having to address another set of dire rumors -- following the multiple reports of paltry ticket sales that surrounded "Day of Reckoning" -- the Affliction executive said he appreciated the continued attention focused on his organization.

"It's crazy," Atencio said. "At least people are talking about us. It's a new market that I've never been on."

While reports released by the California State Athletic Commission earlier this week indicated the Day of Reckoning's $3.3 million payroll far exceeded the $1.5 million collected in reported ticket sales, Atencio insisted the business relationships Affliction has negotiated put the promotion in an enviable position.

"I've got Golden Boy (Productions)," Atencio said. "I've got (Donald) Trump. I've got M-1. How are we going to go under with a lineup like that?"

Atencio didn't care to elaborate on Affliction's future beyond a proposed third event, but he was sure to clarify that wasn't because he is fearful of what lies ahead.

"Anybody that knows me knows that I just take it one fight at a time," Atencio said. "I'm honest. I try to give as much information out as I can without getting screwed.

"I'm learning. This is new to me. But the bottom line is that we're moving forward."

So while the full details of Affliction's future aren't yet completely known, Atencio was very clear on the current rumors suggesting the end is near.

"It is completely false," Atencio said. "It is untrue."

Soon after our interview with Atencio, the Affliction executive also appeared on Hardcore Sports Radio's "Thursday Night Throwdown" program on SiriusXM. He told host Gabe Morency that there's no truth to reports he's been in contact with UFC officials about a possible shutdown.

"I know (UFC President) Dana White's phone number, I know Dana, and he knows me," Atencio said. "That's about the extent of it. ... Have I spoken to Dana? Yes. Have I recently? No. Have I called him to give him (our) fighters? No.

"I'm not going under."

Atencio also said it's easy for rumors to spread quickly.

"With the whole onslaught of the Internet and everything else, rumors just fly," he said. "I could make a rumor right now and say, 'B.J. Penn got hurt, and he's not fighting tomorrow, so go cancel your tickets.' All of the sudden, everyone is going to start believing it. It's not true. It's that people get on the Internet and start making up lies, and people start to believe it. And without checking facts, there's all these other Internet sites -- these not so legitimate Internet sites -- and they post it. People believe it. They read it and say, 'It must be true.' It's not true. I'm here.

"I'm not going under. It's not going to happen."

Check out the MP3 audio for the full radio interview.

4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

To another underwhelming fight league.

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Hopefully to the UFC.

I'm reasonably sure he has no contract with Affliction/Golden Boy.

6. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I hope Affliction stays around......There shows are very good.....There commentators BLOW ASS CHUNKS without Bas........Bas and Jimmy would be the best combo so far......And get throat cancer guy out of there.....

7. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

i predict they do 3 shows, then quit.

8. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

i hope theyre not done.. i thought their 2nd show was much better than the first.. also my favorite fighter babalu would only be fighting for strikeforce then..

9. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

They need to spice things up when it comes to their show. The commentators are horrible and just the overall production is bad. There were so many akward silent moments in the last event, it's like no one knew what to say.

10. Kenny Dalglish

I can fix it with one move..

BAS RUTTEN

11. Toodles

Toodles You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the w OT Supporter

1) study old UFC cards
    2) emulate their promotion/production tactics
    3) get new commentators.
    4) get rid of jerry millen
    5) ????
    6) profit

EDIT: replacing UFC in #1) with Pride would also work

12. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

Absolutely. And Tito Ortiz saying "I'm a wreslter myself, and if Arlovski kicke dme I'd be shooting in on him" or some shit WHY DOES THAT EVEN MATTER?!

13. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

They could just hang Tito in the center of the ring and I'd buy their next show.

14. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

because tito seems to be the only person on the face of the planet that doesn't understand that the game has passed him by.

15. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Nothing will work, people don't understand that MMA is not popular, the ufc is popular. Most of my friends/co-workers have watched every ufc for the past 3 years. Nobody has even mentioned anything about Affliction to me. Work conference on Saturday some guy at my table was like, "big fight tonight"(roose had just texted me that barnett had just won) so i responded ya apparently Barnett just won. He said "who". He thought the GSP fight was last weekend :rofl: I was like 12 beers in when i tried to explain Fedor to him and he just kept saying ya but the guy has never fought Lesner :ugh:

16. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I have to say you pretty much hit the nail on the head.....UFC is popular and Affliction is just a MMA group.....Hopefully the people at Affliction will realize this and put in better commentators and increase their branding....

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Tim Sylvia out of work again :rofl:

18. Helios

Helios New Member

I don't know if I want to blame it on successful marketing by the UFC, or if it's just typical of casual american fans. :sad2:

19. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

It's like any major sport people only watch 1. NFL, NHL, NBA fuck you canadians that say CFL :rofl:

20. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

This is 100% correct. They don't want to have to learn about new fighters and keep track of where they fight and when.

Each UFC they will recognize a few names and a few guys from TUF, so its easier for them to be interested.

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I wonder how much of it is true, oh well as long as they put Barnet vs Fedor I will be happy.

22. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

To make money you gotta spend money. I won't believe this until they actually come out and say it. Rumours get spread all the time and it's funny when it comes back to you. If you've ever played telephone as a kid it pretty much plays out the same way. Starts with facts than as it goes down the chain gets changed until it's not even true.

The time I got evicted and my landlord was going to stab me, my boss who's a 2 stripe blue belt dragged a 300lbs woman to the ground who had a knife (coming for me). Now my boss weights I think 110 on a good day and maybe 5'. I was chatting with a co-worker and they were talking about strong women that work there and the story got turned around that apparently my boss took down a 400lbs biker in a bar who had a knife.

23. kroneX

kroneX New Member

So you were talking to Joe_Cool?

24. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I dont know he has faced solid competition while at affliction, Tim Sylvia has been a domminant ufc champion and nearly beat noguera and arlovski was good in his last 3 fights and that last one with fedor he fought a good fight

25. Kenny Dalglish

i hate that you're right but you're right.. sherwood mentioned earlier this week on the radio how he had some people over for affliction who are new mma fans.. and they were very intrigued by the whole thing and had lots of questions to ask especially about fedor and so on. it's really great because they all enjoyed the product but it's hard to get a lot of people to view this product without the ufc's brand recognition..

on another note tom west (regularly calls in to the sds) said he went over one of his coworkers place for affliction and all of the people were hardcore mma fans and old school pride fans but knew almost NOTHING about the ufc.. thats crazy weird