A&P strobists crew: why not just an affordable wireless trigger/receiver?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BoostedBoogie, Aug 15, 2007.

1. why such an expensive pocket wizard if you are just doing product photography or close-quarters photography? the only difference i see with using a pocket wizard is it's range?

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Compatibility. Reliability. Strobist.

3. Even at clost range? Strobist?

4. hash browns

Ya rly. Strobist gotta eat.

5. joy division

joy division New Member

strobist crew ... signing the fuck OUT

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

All bullshit aside, if what you are shooting is not moving or gives you only a once in a lifetime opportunity (weddings or events) to shoot it then get the Cactus/Gadget Infinity triggers.

1)Build Quality is not up to par with PWs but it's not horrible either and they do stand abuse. I have dropped mine and taken them out into the elements with no problems at all.

2)They rarely misfire or no fire. I shot a mountain bike race a little while ago and out of 500+ exposures I did not see one without the fill lights.

3)They are cheap enough, you could buy 2 sets and keep one as a spare.

4) There is no settings at all just connect and shoot, this is a pro and a con.

5) They are tiny and easy to strap onto your flash when using the PC cord yet strong enough to hold some big flashes in awkward positions when using the hot shoe.

I've tested my at ~100 feet with direct line of sight with no misfires and can shoot with the flashes 30-40 feet away in other rooms and they still work.

If you are really serious about needing off camera lighting and just shooting products sitting there than they will work fine. Though I imagine by products you mean smaller things in a light box, or on a table etc. If you're doing anything much bigger you should look into studio lighting.

7. exactly the post i was looking for :bowdown:

but yeah i do plan to use it for shooting things in a small light box. i'm sure a pocket wizard would be nice, but i dont do enough "professional" photography to have to worry about something as expensive as a PW right now.

8. hash browns

If you are working with other "pros" that you need to loan gear to or borrow gear from, Pocket Wizards are the expensive standard. If you are going on location and find that some of your equipment is lost or broken, Pocket Wizards are the standard. Most major professional camera stores stock Pocket Wizards. Multi-Maxes offer unique channel programming when you are shooting wireless with many other users. Special delay modes, fast-trigger modes, intervalometer modes, shot count modes, etc are all features of the Pocket Wizard Multi max that you dont' get with ebay wizards, cactus-lols, skyports, etc. You can also get a radio trigger module for some Sekonic flash-meters that are compatible with Pocket Wizards, but not the others. Profoto R-series packs and Dynalite Wi-packs all have built in radio slaves that are compatible with pocket wizards. Older Nikon D1X cameras were available with built-in pocket wizard radio triggers, etc.

9. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

Biggest issue I have with cheap triggers is the sync speed is pretty shitty, but that doesn't matter if your camera is on a tripod shooting objects that aren't moving.

10. hash browns

sync speed will rape you if you are trying to suppress ambient with limited flash power

11. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

With the gadget infinity triggers I can only synch at 1/200th instead of 1/250th.

Out of ~ 200 photos taken with them they had about 5 hickups. Usually one flash didn't fire. On one occation I got a black line halfway through the picture. Other than that, they've been fine.

12. isaac86hatch

You should write them and ask for a new set. I sync mine to 1/250th all the time with no issues. :dunno:

also..are you using the PC cord or hot shoe? I rubber band the the transponder to my camera strap attached with the PC cord so I can have one off camera flash and on in the hot shoe. Even if I'm not using a shoe flash I still use the pc cord and see less errors than when using the transponder in the hot shoe.

13. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

My 580 is connected to the hotshoe, B1600 is connected via PC.

No guarentee that it's the fault of the triggers. Part of me doubts that there's much variation between different copies of these things. Plus, no way I'm going through the hassle of shipping something back to hong kong.

14. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

from now on.. order them from www.mpex.com they keep the GI triggers/receivers in stock, so if you have an issue with one, you only have to send it to columbus, OH

15. isaac86hatch

That's good to know. I think I'm going to order another set in the futur and a few more receivers. Though eventually I'd love a set of PWs my skill and need for them does not quite warrant the price.

16. hash browns

also make sure you are using proper batteries that supply the voltage your triggers and slaves are expecting. If it needs 3.0V, use 1.5V alkalines, not 1.2v rechargable nimh...

17. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

No one like Optical Triggering?

My old Peanut's (not Wein) fire 4 flashes 99% of the time.

Cost like $10 each.

18. IntheWorks

I have an optical trigger also.. but I rarely use it.

19. mojito

mojito New Member

depends on the situatioin. at a wedding where family members are also shooting along side, hell no. Has to be line of site . . .

theres a time and place for everything :hsd:

20. IntheWorks

wtf name change outta nowhere!

21. mojito

mojito New Member

:mamoru:

22. johan

johan Active Member

finally moved to PWs today from CLS.

Still love cls for convenience. But now I know I shouldn't have waited so long for PWs......

23. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I'm on the fence about getting PWs. My GIs have been unreliable as hell since I moved from 1 strobe to two. Im in a catch 22 where I dont want to take on paying clients unless my gear is reliable, but I dont want to pay the 550 for PWs until i have some paying clients.

24. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

25. johan

johan Active Member

it's not a catch-22 as I see it.

If you're in a position where people will, or soon will be paying you, then ante up.

At some point, you have to front the monies to make the leap to the next level.

im guessing no one paid you when you bought your camera originally.

if you'll never be getting paid work...then might as well forget about the PWs.