Stripping off bad paint job..

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by albuffit, Aug 1, 2008.

1. albuffit

albuffit New Member

i know this is beyond detailing but im guessing some of you have a paint/body background.

im looking at this truck thats been painted over by miracles.. single stage $600 paint job. im probably going to get it redone as i have a good connection with a body shop. how hard would it be to strip/sand off the paint and leave a little of the original manufacturer paint behind? plus smooth it out so it wont be wavy/uneven when sprayed.

2. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Won't be difficult, hit it with some 220 grit until you get past any sealer/primer the shop sprayed. Done deal.

Maybe 180, whatever floats your boat.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Pick up an issue of Hemming's Classic Cars and read the restoration profile for that month, they get pretty specific about the paint prep done on the car.

4. wagonproject

wagonproject New Member

Yep, your going to want to sand it off. Either a hog or DA. Then your going to want to start "primering" and blocking with guide coats. Theres also a couple ways you can get the car stripped, like dipped, or blasted. Do you know the paint under is good?

Your best bet is to do what Scottwax said, pick up a book at your local bookstore on restoring cars/paint. You can have a shop do it (BUT DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE SHOPS FIRST!!) and expect to pay for (I hate getting people at working thinking its going to be cheap or something when they need a whole new bedside or a whole side fixed).

Its going to be a "messy" and time consuming job. Sorry my explanation is not good, but just trying to give you the "just."