Strip everything down everytime?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by DonTalarico, May 8, 2006.

1. DonTalarico

DonTalarico New Member

Here's a (stupid question) I've been pondering, and have looked through a bunch of threads to no avail. Everytime you want to do a swirl remove, polish, then wax...do you do a Dawn wash to strip off the old stuff? Or just go at it with the old stuff still on? Also, for using like a Back to Black product for rubber trim and weatherstrip, do you apply it first before a wash or after, and then use a QD to clean up any overspray on the painted surfaces?

Thanks! :wiggle:

2. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

I use just regular car soap, like Gold Class or NXT Wash. I know some other people on the board use QEW (Quick & Easy Wash) before they do a full exterior detail. Unless your car is a jeep/truck that just got back from mudding, I don't think you need to use DAWN, since it can really dry out your paint. A friend of mine who is a Zaino guy always uses Dawn before he details, to strip off old wax so he says, but I really don't think there is a need. I always make sure to just use a clay bar before I do an exterior detail.

When using Back to Black, I use it after I already washed the car. After I'm done, to remove the excess that got onto the paint, I just take a microfiber towel and Quick Detailer Spritz (aka #34).

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  3. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

A polish is going to strip whatever is on there, don't use dawn.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: There's no point to a Dawn wash, honestly. If you're that worried about it, wash it normally with car soap, then do a wipedown with 50/50 IPA before you start polishing. That will effectively strip anything off, too.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Words to live by! Seriously, if the polishing step is going to remove swirls, isn't it a reasonable assumption that it will also remove whatever wax or sealant is on the paint too?