MMA Striking drills with focus mitts?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by TQ, Apr 24, 2006.

1. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

My brother trains back home in KC and one of the guys he trains with gets a deal on equipment at cost.

I dont train but have always wanted to. Unfortunately, down here in the armpit of kansas where I go to school there aren't even any boxing gyms and frankly if there were, I don't know that I'd even be able to afford a membership :hs:

Anyways, I was thinking of getting some Focus mitts and seeing if I could find any training videos online.

Yall got any ideas? :x: :hsd:

What do you guys think?

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Do you have a partner who would be dedicated to it and stick to schedule? (you'd have to be able to do the same)

If you're going to get target pads I would also go for a heavy bag as well... If you're just doing boxing that's fine... If you're going for muay thai, there are a lot of instructional videos online, however I think it'd be best to get an instructor or at least an experienced practicioner to aid you through the early stages.

3. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I'm thinking of doing this mainly to gain speed and the movements.

I have someone who I will be training regularly with but we are both new to boxing.

I want a heavy bag but have no room for one in my apartment :wtc:

Can you list some titles for me to DL? I tried to look on the tracker but it seems like its down today :dunno:

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I don't know of any titles for boxing, thankfully my parents threw me into a boxing program when I was 12 and I got a good deal of learnin from that... For muay thai there are a few videos that are good for starters... but I wouldn't get too serious about it without some kind of professional evaluation and guidance for at least the basics. I'll get a few links.

5. DKKD

DKKD New Member

I suggest you take a look at the boxing gyms you mentioned, in my experience they are much cheaper than most MA places, cant hurt to take a look

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

If you have netflix, this is a good vid:

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70012729&trkid=189530&strkid=977615429_0_0

Shows you all the moves of ring boxing and also a lot of the master techniques of traditional muay thai that are just cool to watch. I watched this and decided I wanted to get into muay thai... I screwed around with what I saw and then sought help from an experieinced friend for some guidance and got more serious about it.

Some quick online vids:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=muay+thai+techniques&page=1&lv=0&so=0
    -These are good to learn the movements... but make sure you pay just as much attention to footwork and body movement and not just the striking.

Also I reccomend going to the other thread in the cage with all of the e-books... there are some really good muay thai books in there and I think I noticed a number of boxing books on there too.

edit: here's the e-books thread

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2472696

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

oh and as for a bag, if you can get one with a stand, carrying it down to a backyard area or something would be a good workout to warm you up before working on the bag for a while. Just a thought though, it's not imperitive that you have a bag (but helps a lot).

8. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

keep in mind he isn't planning on fighting, just on training....

9. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I said that there were not any boxing gyms within a couple hours of me.

I have nowhere to put a bag and stand let alone the $200+ it would cost to get one :hs:

I'll check out those vids, thanks!

10. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I want to get serious with BJJ, and maybe Muay Thai in the future but I have a year or so of school left and that is my priority.

My brother trains (crucialkc) and came down over the weekend and submitted me like 2589574292475 times :mad:

I even outweigh him by like 70lbs :bowdown:

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:coold:

Well I guess boxing w/ some target pads makes the most sense for your current situation. If you wanted to get practicing on some muay thai aerobics (basically just MT shadowboxing) that would be good for your health and also begin to implant the movements into your memory so that they become more natural, if not boxing will do just fine to getting you ready for your future training.

I checked the e-book download and there are a few boxing instructionals that look pretty good. Start with those. As for the original question of how to use the pads, I didn't see any instructional stuff in the e-books and haven't noticed any vids online... What you want to do is just learn boxing combinations, and learn how to accomodate them with the pads by placing them in the proper spot and etc.

Also, if you have a secluded park or rarely-used football field nearby(you need soft soil/grass, or a mat for indoors, i figure grass would be more convenient), you and your partner could practice wrestling with each other lightly just to get used to the feel of being on the ground and everything. That would definitely prepare you for BJJ in the future, as well as gear your mind towards the sport, the same as practicing boxing and MT will do.

It's obvious but just incase, you should make it a top priority to stay in shape (whether you prefer weights over calisthenics is up to you), do cardio a couple to three times a week, and most importantly stretch every day to gain flexibility... Just think, if you're really flexible and already have muscular strength and endurance when you get to your first class, you'll be a few steps ahead of the guys who can't even touch their toes.

12. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I think what I'll end up doing is learning the proper forms for punches (foot placement, how much to turn your hips into a punch etc) and just practice combos and blocking.

About a month ago I started working out again--I had to stop because of a bad back injury and have been out of the gym for like 8 monthes now :hsd: so getting in shape is my main priority :bigthumb:

Thanks for the help ;)