MMA Striking combos?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Skeletor, May 25, 2006.

1. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

What are combos you've used in sparring or in the ring that you feel are effective?

My favorite combo when I used to box was if my jab caught them, throw a straight and then a left hook to the ribs/liver. That shot to the body ribs usually does it. If the jab doesn't hit, then a right hook past the guard (or reverse side if you stand sp) And a left uppercut into the ribs/solarplexis will do it... I've never seen anybody take a hard shot to the head and be able to deflect a bodyshot well, they just aren't on guard for it. Problem is that when someone lands a headshot they immediately want to go for more and more in the hopes of knocking them out. It's hard to knock someone out, but if they are dazed you can make them hurt pretty easily.

For muay thai I like a similar combo which is just jab, straight, push kick (if standing orthodox then use rear foot, the straight sets you up for it well). Each shot sets up the stance for the next one perfectly for maximum power and balance.

Also chances are if you're close enough for a right hook you can swoop in and throw elbows. Left hook, right hook, downward elbow to finish it. That's an effective combo I've seen in a lot of muay thai fights.

2. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Personally I like to throw a jab, lean to the side, then stick em with a straight to the body and an elbow to the chin. :bowdown:

Yeah, I'm really good at Fight Night :bigthumb:

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:mamoru: as long as you aren't doing it to your girlfriend :bigthumb:

4. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I prefer the Triangle.

Gets her head right where I want it :naughty:

5. Swipe

Swipe New Member

Not to mention what's to come when she passes out :booty:

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Great... thanks for keeping the thread imformative and giving some useful input on the subject :hsugh: asshats

7. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Sorry brah :hsd:

I'll leave :wtc:

8. teep

teep New Member

This is a really simple one, but I that found hook, uppercut, hook works pretty well for me. I also like to finish short flurries with a kick to the body because the other guy will tend to just be focused on blocking punches to the head and that leaves them open for a good shot.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Truth.

Also for sparring (might work for a ring fight or real fight, not sure) any combo ending in a push kick will own their confidence if your hits land... First they get dazed then they end up on their back (i wouldn't stay standing if I got hit a few times and then pushkicked), and then they have to ask themselves "should I just get up? I'm in pain and on my back"... the moment you question yourself your confidence goes down the shitter in the heat of a fight.

10. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Jab overhand right is a fave of mine.
    as is right rip right uppercut whilst in the clinch

11. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

Fake the left hook and come with the right kick.

12. teep

teep New Member

Big overhand right to a double leg is also something I've been working on lately. I think it can be super effective since you can't really slip/block and sprawl at the same time so you're either getting hit with a hard shot or getting taken down.

Also I swear in one of Bas Rutten's instructionals he stomps, knees, and then punches a guy in the balls. That's a good combo for ya :eek4:

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

That sounds like a great combo, but for the double leg you'd need both hands low, so you'd have to concentrate on pulling your punch really fast after contact to get your hand on their leg. Stuff like this makes me want to start grappling and takedowns so much :noes:

As for Bas's crazy testicle techniques... That's just inhumane... Gouge, slice, and tear away.... just not FOLLOW UP strikes to the balls! Bas :bowdown:

14. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I have a guy who's a southpaw who would nail me a lot with a stiff straight right, so I would fake with the jab and when he'd throw the stiff right, I'd slip and throw a cross to the body, then zone and throw a high left hook that knocks his block off

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:coold: I never boxed a southpaw so I have no technique for it :o

I'd imagine I'd try a lot of left hooks to the side/liver followed by right hooks to the dome, but I'd be weary of throwing any power shot against a south paw because it leaves me open to their power hits as well.

16. Sir Noobington

Sir Noobington New Member

Train off both sides. It's a bit hard at first, but once you get the basics down everything else falls in suit.

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: I didn't do this for boxing but I did it for MT last year w/ my training partner and I liked it a lot... I make sure and train soutpaw and ortho 50/50 when doing bag work to keep myself symmetrical in power and balance.

18. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

...rite

20. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

i was marking it for future reference

21. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I just like the simple jab to overhand

22. Skeletor