MMA STRIKEFORCE - Nashville TN. 4/17/10 v.fuckufcdrama

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Jeebus, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

I'm amped for this. I just want to see some good fights and not the fucking soap opera every fucking UFC seems to result in.

CARD:

Strikeforce Middleweight Championship
    Jake Shields (No. 7 MW) vs. Dan Henderson (No. 2 MW)

Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Championship
    Gegard Mousasi (No. 6 LHW) vs. Muhammed Lawal

Strikeforce Lightweight Championship
    Gilbert Melendez (No. 8 LW) vs. Shinya Aoki (No. 2 LW)

Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. Tim Stout
    Zach Underwood vs. Hunter Worsham
    Josh Schockman vs. Cale Yarbrough
    Dustin Ortiz vs. Justin Pennington
    Andrew Uhrich vs. Dustin West
    Chris Hawk vs. Ovince St. Preux
    Tom Campbell vs. Cody Floyd

I'll be honest, i have no clue who the other dudes are.

EDIT:
    Where - FREE on CBS
    Time - 9PM EST

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Should be a good event. Hope Henderson kills Shields

3. JJ

JJ Active Member

I predict Hendo winning that fight.

Mousasi as well.

4. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Ya its 3 great fights for free

5. Cro Cop

Cro Cop OT Supporter

Whose rankings are those?

6. Cro Cop

Cro Cop OT Supporter

Strikeforce Middleweight Championship
    Jake Shields (No. 7 MW) vs. Dan Henderson (No. 2 MW)

Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Championship
    Gegard Mousasi (No. 6 LHW) vs. Muhammed Lawal

Strikeforce Lightweight Championship
    Gilbert Melendez (No. 8 LW) vs. Shinya Aoki (No. 2 LW)

Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. Tim Stout

King Mo ftw :bowdown:

7. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

SD's

8. miek

miek New Member

:bowdown:

9. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

Mo beats mousasi :wiggle:

10. melted_one

melted_one New Member

I got the same pics as you and am equally excited. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

11. edward_cullen

edward_cullen Unemployed Since 08

Melendez over Aoki, sure buddy.

I hope you bet the house on that one.

12. GreatDeceiver

Are you niggas serious picking Mo over Mousasi? I think Soko was a bigger threat to the Dreamcatcher than Mo. Dude has looked sharp against total cans, doubt he will be able to handle Gegard.

13. GreatDeceiver

Good interview with Gilbert. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and understands the game and what needs to be done against Aoki. I think he takes it.

source: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mma/post/2010/04/gilbert-melendez-qa/1

Fighting Stances recently spoke with Melendez about his upcoming bout with Aoki. Excerpts from the conversation:

Shinya Aoki's stock in trade is his creative jiu-jitsu. As far as you can tell from watching him, what makes Aoki's approach to jiu-jitsu different from most others?

I won't know exactly until I lock horns with him, but obviously his length and flexibility.

Seems like he has very great muscle endurance to be able to keep that grip on you for 10, 15 minutes straight. Usually some guys get tired after holding that long; after holding for five minutes even, or just two minutes. He seems pretty strong there.

And he's a very intelligent fighter. Some fighters don't use their brains as much as he does.

Who's been helping you by trying to mimic his style? I imagine Nick Diaz can do a lot of the things that he does.

Here's the thing. A lot of people fight Aoki and they're like, "OK, I'm fighting Aoki, a jiu-jitsu guy, time to practice to to fight jiu-jitsu in three months." And three months isn't long enough.

Fortunately for me, I've been training with Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, Nate Diaz. I've seen the rubber guard. I've seen a lot of tricky jiu-jitsu for the last four, five, six years of my life, so I feel like I've been preparing for this guy for a long time.

But yeah, I am doing a couple more specific positions. I'm using flexible guys, and yes, Nick Diaz is one of them, and some other guys in camp that can do rubber-guard stuff.

He's got some creative takedowns to get into position. How have you been to training to stop the way he pulls guard, and some of the judo stuff that he does?

In a perfect fight, we would never touch the ground. That's obviously my game plan, keep it on my feet.

I think the approach to do is, you have to be very patient. If you get aggressive and you walk right into the takedown, or you just feel like you want to pop his head off with a big punch, that's when you're going to get taken down.

He capitalizes on every mistake you make. The first mistake you make, he capitalizes on.

Just be really patient on the stand-up. Don't overthrow a punch and get taken down. Keep a good distance and don't be too aggressive, but just let it happen.

Do you think you can lure him into the kind of exchanges you were having with Josh Thomson a few months ago?

I doubt it. Josh and I were in the middle of 20-hit combos each. At the time, the heat of the moment, as hard as we were throwing, as committed as we were, the timing for a shot wasn't really there.

With Aoki, I don't feel like the bombs and the combos would be as committed. If there's three punches that go off, he'll already be clinching, shooting or pulling guard by then, or running away. The combos wouldn't be one-two-three-four, duck, bob and weave.

It'd be like one-two-three-four, sprawl. Back up. One-two-three-four, stiff arm. One-two-three-four, sprawl. I feel those would kind of be moreso the combos.

He doesn't have much experience fighting in the cage. How much do you think that might work to your advantage?

I hope it does. Sometimes you can get lost in that thing. It's almost a circle and you don't know where you're at. Hopefully it's going to be an advantage for me.

Honestly, I'm not really banking on anything like the cage being an advantage to me or counting on that. But I hope it messes him up.

Do you think it will?

I think a professional fighter can adapt. I adapted to the Pride ring.

Hopefully it bothers him a little bit. It is different, but I don't think it will really bother him too much.

It seems like Aoki has some vulnerability to being touched on the chin. How would you take advantage of that?

I am going to take advantage of that to my best and try to expose that. The way I will -- I think I'm being very accurate with my punches and I'm hitting right on the button now. ... I just need to hit that money shot here and there, just to rock him and scare him, and make him make some mistakes.

You called out Aoki right after you beat Josh. At the time, what was the reason for that?

It (had) been in talks that, "Hey, Scott can make Aoki happen. The Dream champion will fight the Strikeforce champion."

We saw Mousasi come over here and fight Babalu. We saw Nick (Diaz) fight that (Marius Zaromskis), I'm not too sure of his name. These are the Dream champions.

So I picked the opportunity to call out Shinya. I cracked the top 10 again. He's No. 2 in the world. I feel like I match up well with him and I'm jumping on the opportunity. I can't believe it's happening

So if it does go to the ground, for whatever reason, you'll try to pound him? Joachim Hansen had some success with ground and pound in their second fight.

Yeah, definitely. Once again, I'm going to keep patient the whole time.

I think sometimes people's problem is, they fall into Aoki's guard and they just wait for him to do something. He just sets crazy things up.

I'll be patient and not get wild. I will pick my shots perfectly and I think I'll hit some.

If he opens his guard and there's a way to stand up and get out, I will. If he keeps me in the guard and he's open to some punches, I'll be more than happy to punch him.

I think I have a very good ground-and-pound and submission defense. There's definitely a lot of threats when I'm on the ground with him, but I believe I pose a lot of threats as well.

So you won't be looking to stand immediately.

No, no. I feel like panicking and (trying to) spazz out or something just gets you injured.

I've been there before. I've seen his style before. Obviously you won't know what Aoki feels like until you lock horns with him, but I've been in these situations. I've been in omoplatas. I've been in gogoplatas. I've been in the rubber guard, and I can feel like I can neutralize and handle it.

I mean, I'm definitely going to be nervous in there and it's not going to be easy, and he may catch me. But I won't panic and I will work in there.

Assuming that you beat Aoki and continue to be successful, do you have any interest in going over to Japan to fight again?

I think there already been talks about that. I think if somehow I'm successful against Aoki over here, they would probably like me to go back to Japan to fight him over there.

I'm up for it. Like I said, this is a great opportunity for me to get back in the top five. And if I can beat Shinya now, and maybe even do it twice, then I can really make a statement.

I'm a soldier. Scott Coker tells me to go out to Japan and represent Strikeforce, I will do it.

From a personal point of view, is fighting in Japan something you miss at all?

Yeah, definitely. I like the adventure. I remember fighting in Japan when people didn't really know MMA still.

I used to fight in the Shooto days out there and I'd go with just Jake Shields and two friends, and no one there to watch you because it's Japanese fans. No one really hears about it -- just a couple of friends hear about it (at) home. You get a little Sherdog press, a little bit of press.

So yeah, man, it's a reminder of my journey (that) I've been through to get to where I am today.

Of course, I'd love to go back there. I have a lot of cool Japanese fans that cheer for me and appreciate my style. It's really cool out there. It's kind of where MMA started in some sense.

Besides you, Josh and Aoki, who else do you see out there who could challenge for the Strikeforce title?

Anyone in the top 10. I remember they're signing Shaolin (Vitor Ribeiro), who I think is pretty tough; Aoki already beat him. There's JZ Cavalcante, he's a Dream guy who I believe has some thoughts about coming to Strikeforce.

Anyone in the top 10 that's not in the UFC, I think (Strikeforce CEO) Scott (Coker) should try to get. Maybe even co-promote with Bellator and I'll fight Eddie Alvarez, if that's what it is.

I think KJ Noons is fighting with Strikeforce. He's the old ProElite champ.

Hopefully Scott can get some guys. That's moreso his job, so I'll let him do it.

14. SoKo

SoKo New Member

fuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

15. Julez

Julez Active Member

I am going to this event.

16. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I'm definitely looking forward to this, and my picks are identical to yours. I hope Melendez knocks Aoki out ugly.

17. GreatDeceiver

lol why do you keep clicking into the cage

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

if hendo loses I fucking give up on mma

19. GreatDeceiver

Or at least taking a long break. Probably till Lesnar Carwin.

20. Shelk

Shelk OT Supporter

if you wanna bet on the mousasi fight let me know.

21. Kuet

Kuet New Member

God if hendo loses, im becoming a full time K1 fan

22. SoKo

SoKo New Member

I name search :o

23. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

Go Mousasi, Hendo and Aoki!

24. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

Im stoked for the Mousasi Lawal fight. Two of the top up and coming fighters going for the title.

I'll be rooting for Gegard on this one.

25. GreatDeceiver

[​IMG]

Lots of belts. This should be fun.

I'll be in Cleveland this weekend and a mutual friend has his first Amateur fight on Saturday so chances are I'll miss this card :wtc:

Is live Amateur mma better than pro mma on tv? Guess I'll find out.