STRIKE FIRST. STRIKE HARD. NO MERCY .....or something like that

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by SHORTSHIFTER, Sep 23, 2008.

1. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

i checked my weight after class... 169lbs havent been below 173 for a while now.... loooks like my diet and increased workouts are paying off
    gotta stay on track..

workin my ko uchi gari i can hit it walking with no problems, having problems initiating it

got tapped in a triangle by a fellow green belt.... i went for a lazy drop seoinage... was way to far away for it to work, which resulted in a scramble and i tried a tornado sweep... saw it on youtube lol... which i had no business trying.. lol saw it once... he ended mounting me and eventually working to get me in a triangle... i feel like i need to work on my cardio

i also have to not let people take dominant positions, soo used to escaping so feel fairly comfortable in a bad spot so i dont work get out, i just wait for them to make a mistake... but sometimes those mistakes dont come..

48 days till joslins
    next couple posts will have training vids

2. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Staying out of poor positions is going to be essential for winning tournaments or even making it out of the first round. So many grapplers put position over submission at the tournament level and many are content grinding out a win via points once they put you in a poor spot. Focus on your positioning and for your first tourney, find what your "sweet spot" is early on and focus on finding ways to get you to your sweet spot from many negative positions.

Good luck. Keep the blog updated!

3. SHORTSHIFTER

So carlos swung by today, which is fun and shitty at the same time…. Did more mma stuff then I would have liked…. We covered punching into a Osotogari and if the osoto failed we switched to the double leg, which was fun.. striking wont really help me but the takedown combo will
    Carlos took a few of us aside and gave us some pointers…. Mine were for defending the guard pass to sidemount….
    Head Control: push his head the direction he is passing, if his body isn’t across yours the pass isn’t complete some thing so simple yet soo effective… basic stuff, but I needed to be reminded.
    Today was a light work out, I weighted in at 171
    Tomorrow should be good… get to work the GI again hopefully get som vids

4. SHORTSHIFTER

got raped..... froze up didn't keep my posture while standing.... got pulled in to a standing anaconda

go me!

5. SHORTSHIFTER

did my first comp at blue belt...
    got 3rd... pretty happy.
    forearms took like 20 mins to recover after the fisrt match... they were toast..
    my base during the stand up portion was solid... but i couldnt unbalance the other guy with out getting out of balance my self...

bronze medal match... he shot it for a double i sprawled, he drove for the legs again.
    i jumped guillotine. finished him with an arm in guillotine

i am happy

6. SHORTSHIFTER