Strictly DB's

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mystery Guest, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

Does it make sense that my shoulder only hurts when doing BB? I can press DB's all day long and no shoulder pain, maxed today at 120lbs.

Today, for the first time in years I decided to do BB bench and I struggled with 250. It was both painful and a blow to my ego. You always tend to try and stay away from exercises that are the hardest, but at this point I may just have to give up BB. I get a sharp knife like feeling in my shoulder and I only feel it on BB.

Is it possible to get good growth with strictly DB's/Dips? I think not incorporating BB in to my workout has really stunted my growth and progress. :hs:

2. MstngJosh

MstngJosh New Member

I'd like to know the same answer. I haven't done BB bench in quite a while, and I think it's hindering my progress.

3. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

It's really pathetic when you've worked out for years and these skinny high school kids bench more than you do. When you get done benching you overhear someone say " I thought he would bench a lot more than tthat.":wtc: I hate getting old.

4. ericande

ericande Active Member

It seems shoulder pain with BBs is pretty common. I know some people imagine "tearing the bar apart" as they lift which helps, also, maybe try moving the bar more towards your stomach seems to help some people. My buddy just hurt his shoulder playing soccer and could even bench 95. He felt a little better doing normal DB press but I had him try palms in with DBs for a few weeks and the pain is slowly going away.

5. chizzle

chizzle New Member

Strengthen your shoulders?

6. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

Shoulders are fine no pain with any other exercise besides BB.

7. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Cpop with a little golden turd of wisdom coming right up!

8. jonno

jonno New Member

i feel better with BB

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Yes, since your humerus is forced into an internally rotated position which is not the case with dumbbells.
    Internal rotation = less subacromial space.

Somewhat related story: I get compliments on my chest development a lot. My massage therapists say it's overdeveloped! First question is, how much do ya bench? Answer: No idea. Haven't tested a 1RM in years. Hell, I haven't barbell benched pressed in years! So my bench probably sucks. But I have an "overdeveloped" chest anyway from dumbbell benching, dips, flyes etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.