strict diet absolutley necessary?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by sheep561, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sheep561

sheep561 OT Supporter

Is it really necessary to calculate the exact amount of calories/protein/carbs/fat I'm eating or can I just eat a good amount each day? I'm a skinny guy weighing at about 140 lbs with 16% or so body fat. I just want to bulk up a bit I don't want to be a pro bodybuilder. If I start eating correctly with a good combination of all the food groups and work out every other day should I expect some good results or is it important to track everything precisely?

I'm on my feet for 5 days/week for 8 hours a day. I'm constantly moving and lifting 60 to 90 lbs throughout the day. That takes care of cardio. Would dumbbell exercises be enough to gain a decent amount of muscle?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk OT Supporter

no, there is no science to it. eat high protein and go over your calories and monitor your progress to make sure you continue to gain weight

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

necessary? no but it helps a lot imo.

4. Helios

Helios New Member

No it's not.

Having a super strict diet and keeping track of every calorie is fine if you've been lifting for a while and want/need to squeeze out that extra 2%. But it's just a burden and a waste of time for beginners to go to such an extreme right off the bat.

The only thing I would suggest is taking an overview on your diet just to check where you stand, then adjust accordingly.

5. giz

giz Active Member

He didn't mention keeping a "super strict" diet. All he asked is that if it was necessary to keep track of what you eat, and like GT said, it isn't necessary but it helps a lot. IMO it would be dumb not to.

6. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

What I did was track what I ate for a week, and kinda figured that based on my constant meals (my breakfast, 9am, 3pm, and 9pm meals are always the same) I needed to eat a certain amount for lunch and dinner. It's kinda nice to get a good handle on what you eat, but it's too much of a pain in the ass to record it all and keep track.

Eat healthy, eat a lot, lift a lot of weight, and win.

7. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

depends. I see a lot of people who are newbs to calorie counting WAY under/over estimating. I would at least write down on a little post it what you ate and approx how many calories it was. Look online how much 4oz of meat looks like and how many calories it is, etc. I'm a pro at calorie counting but I can easily fall off the wagon if I don't at least pay attention to what I'm putting in my mouth a little bit.

8. Helios

Helios New Member

Seems like it's in the thread title chief.

And that's what I responded to. :ugh:

This thread reminds me of that ocd thread that was posted a few days ago.

9. Helios

Helios New Member

:werd:

10. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

I don't count anything anymore

I just eat a lot of whole, healthy food when I'm hungry and make sure to train really hard so it gets used properly.

I did when I first started though and I think it was helpful in giving me general guidelines of knowing how much I am eating by feel.

11. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

No it's not necessary but you should do it because you probably have no clue. Pick a number, eat that much and then see what happens. Use the mirror and the scale so you can make adjustments. And no dumbbells are not enough to make you look good so join a gym.

12. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Personally, I don't see the point in slacking when it comes to nutrition. All it translates to is wasted time and effort. If you're going to bust your ass in the gym, get your nutrition down at least 90% and make your effort worth while. Just my .02.

That said, since you sound like an ecto trying to gain, you don't have to be so exact. For you, it's most important that you get enough calories and protein/carbs in every day. Add in some healthy fats too (trail mix is really good for this - get in a lot of extra calories and healthy fats throughout the day), take some fish oil and a multi, etc.

If I were you, I'd be starting with ~220-240g protein a day, and at least 2800 calories. I wouldn't worry about gaining fat too much since you're skinny and your job has you burning a ton of calories it seems.

13. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero Active Member

my late brother always told me to just understand what youre eating and eat better. no need to start counting calories and amounts of food to the nearest gram if youre just trying to beast it up or lose some weight. just use common sense.

14. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

listen fuckers, if the kid is a skinny fuck he will probably think he is eating a lot but in reality is only clearing 2000 cals which is probably not enough to gain weight. You do not have to count to the exact gram but not tracking what you eat is fucking retarded if you are trying to gain or lose mass.

diet is 90+% of the equation when it comes to lifting. So if you're not paying attention to what you are eating you're wasting your fucking time and are probably one of the fat/skinny fucks I have seen at the gym not mack any progress in years. While those of us who do pay attention to what we eat are constantly getting bigger/stronger/leaner.

15. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

A strict diet may not be absolutely necessary, but if you don't keep track of exactly what you're eating you're wasting your time imo.

You have no idea what your baseline is. You can't make adjustments if you don't know what you're eating. So you think you're eating "a lot" and yet aren't gaining weight. So you're told to eat more. What's more? If you don't know exactly how much food you're taking in, there's no definite way to know that you're eating more.

Even if you're pigging out and it's working, if you're going to make the lifestyle change necessary to sustain your progress you're going to want to know how much food you had to eat to do that.

This is the difference between wildly guessing and hoping it works, and having a record of quantifiable information with which to work.

For anyone complaining about the hassle if tracking the food you eat, if you can't take a little time to track everything with reasonable precision you're a punk-ass bitch that doesn't want it bad enough in the first place.

16. ralyks

ralyks New Member

pics of you?

17. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

why do you need pics? what he said was spot on.

18. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I find when I don't keep an exact count I don't get results. Keeping a log of what I eat in Excel keeps me in check...it also helps me plan out my meals.

19. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Why is no one mentioning fitday?

20. ericande

ericande Active Member

agreed.

If you want to look amazing, you have to eat perfect.

If you want to look ok in clothing, you just need to eat less shit and workout.

Most people's goals are in between and so your attention to diet should be as well. Track your intake for a few days, you'll learn what you're actually eating. Personally I just track one or two days a week just to make sure I'm eating about what I should. It's not that hard.

21. Roasted

Roasted New Member

I was one of those guys, I've lifted for YEARS, before I even looked at diet. I could have made so much more progress than I did. :wtc:

22. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

nope

as long as you eat supreme bars you will be fine :bigthumb:

23. NUDES

NUDES New Member

The funniest part about this post is most bodybuilders I know (NPC competitors) don't track calories even pre contest. They reduce intake and cut carbs over time.

To assert that if you don't count calories to the exact gram as zaffir said makes it useless to pursue his goal is completely wrong.

24. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Everyone I know that competes has never counted a calorie.

25. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

you don't have to count cals but I guarantee that they still know that they have dropped form 3/4c rice with lunch to 1/2c....so they still track it but not super anal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.