TAT Stretching

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Buttons, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

here's a question that was posted on BME and the response given by one of the staff members there.....

"I was wondering where i could find a chart for gauging my ears that goes above 00 (or at least over 7/16) so i could have some type of chart to go by."
    hilary

"Please, please, please, people of the modded community, stop using the word "gauge" as a verb. Repeat slowly with me:
    "I STRETCH my piercings"
    "Body jewelry sizes are reffered to by GAUGES"
    Sean Phillips

so for all those that argue and complain when i correct them...here's a big FUCK YOU!

2. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

:mamoru:

i remember reading that in the QOD

ive pretty much givin up correcting people :hs:

3. gooter80

gooter80 Guest

thank u, finally someone who agrees with us. i just dont understand why when u try and educate on this site ppl put u down, i just dont understand.

4. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

:dunno: Don't bother with stupid people.

5. pir8penguin

pir8penguin Guest

and since they're always right because they're BME...

it's not the first time a measurement has been used as a verb. read a book.

6. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

hmmmm 'the other day i millimetered my ears' .... now how stupid does that sound?

edit:i never said they're always right because they're BME, but they are on the QOD board for a reason. They're all very knowledgable piercers who know what they are talking about

7. pir8penguin

pir8penguin Guest

"he's inching this way".

8. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

defines movement, that's different.

9. Letifo

Letifo Moderator

:bigthumb:
    that made me laugh

10. pir8penguin

pir8penguin Guest

the point wasn't wether it was movement or not. the point was that it was a measurment usually used to define a degree of measurement, used as a verb. try and keep up. don't be so obtuse. you just want to be cool because you're a piercing "insider" and you use the correct lingo. eat me, i'll say gauging just to aggrivate people like you.

11. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

ahahh wow. someone needs a spelling lesson here.

wether = whether
    measurment = measurement
    aggrivate = aggravate

now, its not about being an 'insider' its about being correct! 99% of piercers out there dont like the term gauging because it is an incorrect term. we all strive to educate the public and its people like you that make our job that much harder because no matter how many times we tell you something you just wont listen!

12. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

luh-brey :ugh: god i hate that

13. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

and when you try to explain that its a latin word meaning 'jewelry in lip' they get all pissy and tell you its french. oh how i love moronic people.

14. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

Main Entry: la·bret
    Pronunciation: 'lA-br&t
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin labrum
    : an ornament worn in a perforation of the lip

people will never get this one right

15. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

16. Two toys

Two toys New Member

if gauge were to be used as a verb wouldn't it mean (literaly) measuring of gauge ... i do a bit of welding and we do gauge metal.. and is the same type of measurement used in the smaller stretching...

one thing i do not understand is why people refer to the process as gauging when there is a way to stretch over 00 and go to a measurement of inches .. would the process then be known as "inching" ?????

im not taking one side or another because everyone obviously understands what they are trying to say when they refer to the process as gauging

to correct them is one thing but to be a dick about it is wrong...

17. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

yes, it would mean measuring of gauge....so therefore 'gauging' your ears would mean you are measuring your ears, NOT stretching them

so if someone were to say to me "what gauge are you ears" i could answer with "00g" or whatever size they are, but if they were to say "what stretch are you ears" i would probably look at them funny then correct them seeing as it doesnt sound right. does that make sense?

edit: when i hear someone say 'im gauging my ears' i get a visual of someone in a mirror with a ruler seeing how big there ears are. it just doesnt sound right to me and i dont mean to come across as rude or being a dick.

18. pir8penguin

pir8penguin Guest

if i admit being incorrect, and simply obstinate, could the subject be dropped?

19. Cherryfire

Cherryfire "If we believe obsurdities, we shall commit atroci

You know what? I work as a Nurse in a Veterinary Hospital. I can't tell you how often I hear,"Spaded" instead of "Spayed". I still know what they mean though. I don't even think twice about it. Why embarrass someone over something so trivial? If Im unclear about what they mean, I ask. Otherwise, I let it go. They'll eventually figure it out for themselves and at least they dont have to feel like a tool every time they see me because I corrected them.

I can totally understand the need for education. Trying to point out the correct way to do or say something. And I guess as long as that can be done without embarrasment to the person youre approaching,then by all means, give it a shot. But be careful. Personally, when i started stretching my ears for the first time, Im sure i probably let the word "gauge" slip. Eventually, my interest in stretching led me to do more research and I discovered the correct terminology. But had my "Hey, Im interested in gauging my ears..how do i do that?" been met with a "Its stretching! Dont call it gauging ! We hate that!"...i would have been totally embarrased.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  20. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

my post wasnt meant to embarass anyone. it was meant to educate but if there gonna come back with smart ass comments like 'inching his way' then im gonna make a fool of them.

21. pir8penguin

pir8penguin Guest

the point i was trying to make is that measurements are used as verbs in more than one scenario. i admit, it's not the appropriate terminology. it's slang, rather. i think we're both just trying to be asses. truce?

22. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter