SRS stressed out about losing my job

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amac88, Jun 25, 2009.

1. amac88

amac88 New Member

I lost my job yesterday after only 2 weeks, because of a small mistake I made. I was in the auto industry, and let me tell ya, it SUCKED. Im kinda glad I dont have to work a crappy schedule in a hot shop in 90+F heat anymore, but still, at least I had a job.

Im supposed to be getting married next May, now, I dunno. My fiance was upset but agreed that we would get through it just like everything else. I dont know what I would do without her, shes been very supportive, as have my parents. Ive thought about going back to college, and likely will, but I have no idea what I want to do in life.

I wish I could magically skip the next couple years or so, where Id be married and maybe start a family. Thats not possible, and actually, Id probably hate if that happened. However, I just feel really lost, depressed, and worried right now. I need to be able to support both of us, and I dont know what would happen were I to lose a job a third time.

I thought I had found my "calling", what I really wanted to do, work on cars. It was fun, Ive always loved cars, and still do. But, Id rather work on my own car, and on family/friends, not random people who are very ungrateful. I guess that comes with any retail job though. My dream would be to own a classic car restoration shop, but I dont know how likely that is now.

Sorry to ramble, but I need some kind of advice. Where can I go from here? I might as well go back to school, I get free tuition to any state school, which is awesome. Im having trouble finding info on careers though, I like figuring out why people are the way they are, maybe I could look into psychology? Im also very into history, and know some things about computers, Im no programmer though.

Ive been asking everyone I know for ideas, everyone seems to say the same thing "do whatever you feel is the right career for you" but I dont know what that is yet. Im 21, would be a senior in college had I continued what I was doing (journalism major). I quit because I was no longer motivated, and was failing out of classes. However, I never would have had the great life experiences Ive had, and never would have met the woman I love so much.

2. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

You could try to go to school and get a job on campus, though I don't know your total financial situation.

If you can do it, going to college is not a bad idea. Just make sure you can afford to do it and commit to it.

3. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Im gonna use the old office space quote. "What would you do if you had a million dollars?" Basically, if you had money falling out of your ass and never had to work another day in your life, what would you do as a hobby? You said you like to work on cars and that you had a job in the automotive field. Im not sure if that meant factory assembely or in a garage.

My suggestion would be to go back to school if you can, go to a tech college for automotive repair and find a job in a garage. Mechanics make hella bank and really its just nuts and bolts work. Have a problem? Check what it could be, find out what it is, replace it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Love is love, and business is business. You'll never find a job you like doing all the time, because stuff like that people don't have to pay for -- it gets done for free. (like blogging.) Your life's calling isn't something you love to do, it's something you can do well even when you don't feel like it.

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I agree. I love teaching, but I hate entering in grades into the system. I also hate grading student work that I can't read (for whatever the reason). Take some career interest tests before just applying to school somewhere:

http://usa.cx.bridges.com
    http://www.wa.gov/careerguide/career/assess/
    http://cbweb9p.collegeboard.org/career/html/searchQues.html
    http://web.missouri.edu/~cppcwww/holland.shtml
    http://www.myfuture.com/career/interest.html
    http://www.familyfriendly.com/jobchooser/index.asp
    http://www.schoolfinder.com/career/quiz.htm

:)

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Go to a school to learn auto body repair if you really want to get into that type of work and maybe someday run your own shop you need to pay your dues and work your way up. A good welder and body man is worth a lot of money and you can do side jobs for people under the table.

Be prepared to work long hours and little pay and make sure your wife understands that now, a lot of women aren't that understanding about that type of thing.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Im sorry to burst your bubble but the car industry is in its WORST period ever in history. Its not a dead industry but its pretty much bankrupt and although its not impossible to get a job in it, i think you should orientate yourself on those type of jobs that are in demand. Work is never about what you want to do in first place, survival(and money) comes first, preferences come later. You should orientate yourself on a job that is in high demand and pays well.

I know there are people who are , do what you want first and money later, but i think in terms of safety first. If you get a good paying job, you can always switch to something else that you want later.

8. Kafka

Kafka New Member

you can't really burst someone's bubble when they lost their job. :ugh:

9. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Not for auto mechanics! I have two friends that opened up two different shops in the last two years and their business is blowing up! Everyone is driving their cars longer, and are actually performing recommended services to avoid buying new cars.
    :wiggle:

10. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

bingo.

listen, everyone gets depressed after losing a job. it's normal. try not to focus on the job loss and instead focus on everything else you have that you're grateful for. you mentioned that you have wonderful, supportive friends and a terrific fiance. there are some people out there that don't have either!

not all hope is lost! you are young. you have a lot of life to live. use this job loss as a turning point in your life. use it to get out there and figure out what you want to do with your life.

you're not sure what you want to do in the future? no problem. take a variety of entry level classes at the local community college. if that's too expensive for you, consider what professions interest you, and seek out professionals in those careers. call up professionals and ask if they'd be willing to let you shadow them for a hour or two. see if they'll allow you to poke their brain with questions on how they got into the industry.

good luck!

11. okietiger

okietiger New Member

I know how you are feeling, my now wife lost her job last feburary and has been looking ever since, we thaught about postponing our wedding but we got married on June 6th,Jobs are hard to find now but we have that my wife will get a job soon, luckily she is collecting unemployment but her old job is fighting it and it is a hassel. Good luck and try to stay positive.

12. Kafka

Kafka New Member

good luck bro

13. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

No one is buying new cars but the used car market is still doing very well, and don't care what kind of recession we're in people are still spending money modding/restoring cars.