strengthening joints?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by igo4bmx, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

Im wondering what you guys do to strengthen joints?
    particularly, my wrists and elbows are messed up, (drunk + moshing= bad news)
    anyways i'm thinking once im 100% start hitting a heavy bag, to help strengthen my hands and wrists.

maybe one day i'll be like a true muy thai boxer and kick tree trunks

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

adequan equine

3. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

what is this??

i used to have shoulder problems, and my trainer just told me to do shoulder exercises with very low weight to strengthen the weak areas... i havnt had shoulder problems since

4. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

deca durabolin

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

they make it for dogs now, too.. we put my GSD on it for hip dysplasia.. worked really well, but turns out his whole hip joint is gone, so he's having surgery next week :hsd:

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-095-training

7. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I hope everything goes well!! I love dogs!! If a dog and a human were drowning, I'd save the dog!!

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

hitting a bag is not good for your joints, it is bad for them. Get some hand wraps (180") and wrap your hands properly to avoid wrist injury. If you wrap them properly AND learn good form (take classes or learn from an experienced person, SERIOUSLY), you will be able to avoid serious injury... but it's pretty much inevitable to strain a wrist here and there.

As for kicking trees, this is pretty widely misunderstood... Thai Boxers traditionally kicked Banana trees, which are very soft, and move at the base, allowing the tree to move with the kick. Many people have broken their shins trying to kick a regular hard wood tree, because they are stupid.

As for kicks, you CAN strengthen the shin bone through kicking a heavy bag. Again, form is essential to preventing injury (this is stuff I learned in high school weight training class, so if its oldschool theory that has been misproven, I'm sure Ceaze will say so)... kicking a heavy bag results in microfractures on the shin bone which leads to the bone growing back stronger in those areas than before. I would take a few weeks off from kicking every once in a while to make sure your shins have enough time to recover, especially in the beginning. That's what I do anyways.

Things I reccomend you don't do:
    -Start hitting a bag without proper form. Take a Boxing or MT class for a month. That should be long enough for you to get the form of basic kicks and punches down if you go a few times a week.
    -Hit the bag without proper equipment. Your shins are ok to go bare, because they are a solid bone rather than a joint. Your hands however are very easy to break because there are so many small bones in the hand and wrist. Proper handwraps (again, 180" is a good size for most adults) used correctly will help prevent injury. Bag gloves can be purchased to fit on top of hand wraps, or you could get some actual boxing gloves and use those. I prefer the light Bag gloves over hand wraps personally, all the extra padding of an 18oz glove is somewhat unnecessary.

9. TZ

TZ Banned

what if it was maine in a thong!!! :mad: :x: :x:

10. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

i took private boxing lessons about 5 years ago and know how to wrap my hands and punch- i would of course not punch hard like an idiot.

and scratch the punching idea- i remembered the article wrong
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_fracture

this relates to BONE strengthening, where you repeatedly add force to the bone to make it stronger...not joints...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.