Strength rankings question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by VideoJunky, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VideoJunky

VideoJunky New Member

Hey guys, Im a highschool student still and I like to keep in shape. Unfortunately, putting lifting 3 to 5 times a week on a college activities list doesnt look that impressive since its not a sport or official activity.

I was wondering if there's an official strength ranking system in the USA, that a school could recognise as an achievement for my weight class. I'd figure that could help me set a goal and I can work my way to achieving it, while benefitting from the time i put into lifting.

Thanks

2. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

there is powerlifting competitions and ranking systems within those.

3. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

i wouldnt down play writing that you work out in the gym 3-5 days a week. Despite what you may think it does show a sign of dedication this of course is my lowly humble opinion.

4. Gohan4862

Gohan4862 New Member

instead of powerlifting, perhaps weightlifting may be more recognised?

5. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

he said he wanted an official strength ranking system. i dont know of a non-powerlifting official strength ranking system

6. VideoJunky

VideoJunky New Member

I was kinda looking for a weight class ranking system that would basically mean you are a good powerlifter if you can do X in such things. Competition awards might be as worthy but idk. Anyone else have an idea of what I'm looking at?

7. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Totaling elite is pretty much the gold standard but you need to actually compete to do that. Why would you even mention this on a college application though?

8. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

probably because he does not do official sports to add as extracurricular activities. powerlifting wouldnt be associated with your school but if you started competing you could definitely put that down.

9. VideoJunky

VideoJunky New Member

heres some events/programs I found on the net:
    http://www.usapowerlifting.com/schedule.shtml
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/powerlifting-meets (nice site)

then I found APA for NJ
    http://www.apa-wpa.com/newjersey.html
    and for 165lbs, ages 18-19 squat record was 285. I'm that weight and got 315 multipul times at age 16.

but then I found http://www.njpowerlifting.com/index.cfm
    which under same weight class at my age (almost 17) is 462 squat, which seems like a real record.

Is there like a guide to what groups are not as official or highly noticed as others? I doubt I'd be able to compete past state.

10. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

if you look at the other records, they are all much higher than 285, that must have just been a fluke because of lack of competition one year or something.

and competing past state? you don't need to be in the top ten in the nation at a sport to put it on your college application. if you were even recognized for your state at all i would say you were doing great.
    i'd just find the program closest to you, start going, and they can push you in the right direction if you want to go farther

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.