Street Racing

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Fareo, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Fareo

Fareo New Member

So I was just watching the news, they reported about a girl that was in a hit and run from a ledged street race. If you saw a picture of her car you would think she died but apparently she is ok but in critical condition. Then they proceeded to say that cops are now cracking down even more on street racing…

10 years ago Street Racing meant, an organized drag race in an abandon or secluded area. I say 10 years ago because that’s about the time that the Import Fad broke through to the main stream. Every fad has there posers, the low rider fad had the guys that put spokey hub cabs and gold trim on there geo metros the truck crowd had the guys that tried to fit in too, but the difference was they weren’t about speed. At some point someone thought it would be a good idea to take a car like the Honda Civic (which was designed for college students and for people that had long commutes to work) and make it go fast. In no way shape or form did Honda ever intend for their customers to race these cars.

Then people started modifying them to go fast, to prove a point that a 4 cylinder can be fast too. Then came the inevitable posers, But these posers were in a Fad that had to prove it self to be fast. So most of the posers in the fad had no driving skills what so ever and modified their cars just to the point that makes them loud and low. Then they take these cars and go out and race them against each other on the street. For years and years there have been fast cars and street racing related deaths but until the import fad most of the people who owned a fast car like a GT mustang or SS camaro would have A. nothing really to prove and B. better knowledge of driving because they obvious are into fast cars, and know what they are buying because they bought a car that was indented to go fast.

It was also reported on the news that a guy was pulled over and fined for modifying his Civic and they showed his custom intake, and then interviewed a cop who said that they are looking for “any” illegally modified cars and they will be stopped and fined. To understand how ludicrous this really is ill give you an example, if I had a gun that was register and unloaded and cop arrested me for murder, it would be the same as the cop giving that guy a ticket for his intake? Just because you have it doesn’t mean you have to use it? I mean that car couldn’t have been faster then a 14 sec ¼ mile, and he ticketed him for making it go fast… so in that case he should be stopping every corvette, viper, even mustangs and camaros because all of thoughts cars are build from the factory to go fast, so because you bought a corvette you intended on going fast thus you should get a ticket because you have the possibility of street racing and killing someone. If this keeps up will performance cars be come illegal?

On top of that, this could hurt our economy, you wouldn’t be leave how much money we spend on modifying our cars every year and if they cracked down enough on people modifying their cars to the point that people stopped doing it as much as they do now. It would put a dent in are general economy. In perspective its not only performance things that you can get a ticket for, hydraulics, air ride suspension, custom headlights, over sided tires and wheels, lowing kits, lift kits… the list goes on. How can you really ticket someone if they aren’t doing anything with it? Sure you could do something that might hurt someone but that brings me back to my guy point, if I buy a gun to hang on my wall should I be tried for murder 1?

The laws of cruising aren’t helping either, you cant stop and hang out in a parking lots anymore without a cop either making you leave or sighting you for loitering. So that means you have to leave? But your not going to go home? Where are going to go? Well your just going to go cruising again, thus putting more cars on the road and more chances for a street race, but the cops defend this by saying that “hanging out in parking lots creates fights”? Lets look at it this way, stop fistfights or high speed crashes? Which one do you think takes more lives? Or has more of a chance of taking more lives or even endangering innocent lives? … ?

If the cops would allow people to hang out in parking lots it would cut back on street racing and possibly street racing related deaths. But they won’t do this because they don’t want to deal with the problem at hand in the parking lot; they’d rather scrap bodies off the ground then confront 2 guys swing fists. They would also rather rake in the cash from tickets then possibly saving your son or daughters lives.

Skateboarding in schools and public places causes problems. So what did they do? They made skate parks, in my general area I can think 4 skate parks. When it comes to cars there is only one place within reasonable driving distance, which is the local drag strip. Wednesday is the only “run what you brung” day with an entry fee of about $15 and its heavily crowded, you’d be lucky to get 3 runs, the average car does 14-15 sec ¼ mile times so that’s about $15 for 45secs of racing, yeah that seems fair. Or you could just go street race for free all day??

They need to build a full on racetrack (the kind with turns). And a drag strip, open every day with a $10 all day pass, that’s open late. Hold events like Pink Slip racing (where 2 drivers race and the winner gets the others car, which is popular in street racing) and such. Have a hang out area at the track with a stage for local bands to play. Then build a taco bell near by and a gas station now you making money off the people, they are in a safe area and can get there fun out on the track. If you make it big enough it should never be come overpopulated like the small drag strip that we (and most places around the country) have now.

This really pisses me off coming from someone that drives a classic muscle car, my car is pre-smog so they couldn’t really ticket me for anything but I’m sure they would give me a hard time because it sounds like a pissed off lion when I’m just cruising along. I can’t say I don’t street race from time to time, but it all about knowing when to say when. I’ve done my fair share of stupid stuff and I’ve owned different types of performance cars and yet I have 110% flawless driving record, lucky? No… I have restraint, no need to prove anything and the ability know where and when to have fun. Because I am a true car guy…

The Automotive Hobby is becoming harder and harder to deal with year after year and no one is doing anything, but complain about how many people die. If you really want to save lives, shut the fuck up and fix the problem at hand. I’m only 23 and I have just given you multiple examples of how to fix this problem or start fixing it, and yet they (law enforcement, government and so on…) have teams of minds to think about this…

- Fareo

p.s. im just venting :o

2. I'm not argueing with you but I would like to respond to some of your points.
    A) illegal modifaction, thats why he was ticketed, not for makeing it fast but for useing parts that did not have a CARB number.
    B) they come that way from the factory, the will pass smog and all the parts on them are allowed in the state thats why they cant be ticketed.
    c) this is because some/ most of these modifications make the vehicle unsafe, either for the driver or those around him. Most of that stuff is safety relaated
    D) I agree completely, the problem is insurance/ protection. to run a place like that you need alot of insurance, if someone dies at that track they owner/operator could be sued by the family. yes there are wys around lawsuits but those too are expensive. you also need EMS/ rescue personnel available in case of an accident. And finally the owner needs to make a profit. Think of the cost to construct a dragstrip/autocross course alone, then factor in people to maintain it, electricty. These things add up.
    Even if a place like this was open, there is no guaranty(sp) that people would use it, think of the "posers" they want to be fast, but might not care about safety so the might not pass tech and therefor might not bother going to the track. Also you have to remember how lazy some people are, if the track is 10 miles away and the nearest 2 lane street is 1/2mi which do you think they will take?
    E) this is because you could break noise pollution laws, thats all.

But in the end I agree with you. If we could get it so people arent as likely to sue and relax "street" class tech rules it might help. Unfortunatly I do not see the first happening and the second could possibly get more people killed. I like what Cali (and I think Texas) do: if you get caught street racing you lose you car, on the spot, and you get arrested. I think texas goes so far as: if you are found WATCHING a street race you are arrested too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2006
  3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

There is a right and wrong way to modify things, and if you know your area makes doing things illegal, then you should not do them, and if you do, dont cry because your intake which may not be legal forever reason gets you a ticket.
    They didnt ticket him for making it go fast, they ticketed him for using parts that are not legal, I think it was mentioned in the first post in like CA you have to have a CARB sticker, if you dont, its illegal, and again if you do this you deserve a ticket.
    The original poster I bet is some guy with a Civic SI with cut springs, altezzas and a glovebox full of tickets who cant understnad that the laws are there for a reason.

4. St. Anky's

St. Anky's www.ZBoardShop.com OT Supporter

what the ghey is this thread intending to do?

people have street raced ever since cars were publically sold...my dad and my friends' dads did it in the 60s with their cars...my kids and my friends kids will probably do it when they have cars(which is why the fucker is gettin a slow one for first couple yrs at least)

5. Fareo

Fareo New Member

its becasue im pissed off that the idoits are making it harder for real car guys to enjoy thier hobby, like me. when your dad "street raced" it was on an abandon road out in the middle of no where and im sure he knew what he was doing behind the wheel becasue im sure he was a car guy. i think you missed my point becasue i addressed this in my first post.

[​IMG]

i was just venting, i know that they arent going to do anything about it and im sure it will get worse. but im just saying i miss crusing for fun and hanging out in parking lots, talking about cars with other car guys. but now, becasue of the street racers, i cant do this anymore.