A&P Street Photography v. Attempt one

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tonster MBA, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

After seeing Zack Arias's blog I went out to, once again, copy him.
    [ http://www.zarias.com/?p=465 ]

Rejection is a lot fucking harder then it looks. I thought I would have no problem doing it and be like "oh that seems easy enough." Boy was I wrong. I felt like a little school girl getting nerves and crap, it was weird.

Anyways if you don't know I am living in Brazil for the time being and I am not sure if the language barrier helped me or hurt me. Brazilian people are usually very nice and friendly. So most people were open, but it still felt weird to put myself out there and get rejected.

Here is full like to gallery:
    http://agonphotography.com/street_photography/index.html

The first two boys I got to ask some fairly indepth questions, because they were fasinated by me, the others not much.

First boy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thiago Da Sailva is a 14 year old boy who lives in a small city out side of Sao Paulo, Fransico Morato. He comes to work everyday by train he works about 5 hours a day and has been working the same street for 7 years. His average days salery is R$30 per day. He has 6 other siblings and lives with his mom and dad. The average pull from one car is 25-50 centavos (cents). His favorite food is meat and potatoes and he loves funky music. He once received R$120 reais from one single car, he will never know why.

Second boy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waventon is a friend of Thiago and lives in the same city as he does, he as well is 14 years old and he has been working with his friend on the same street for the past 4 years. He too has 6 siblings and goes to school with his co-worker. They go to school from 7-11:30 catch the train straight from school to be at work by noon so they can get in a solid 5-5.5 hours of work before they have to catch the 6:00pm train back home. They only have school on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Waventon's Favorite food consist of rice, beans, and meat. On their busiest days, Saturdays, they can make upward of 50-60 reais.

The Family -
    Lenice - She has...... get this..... 16 childern. Three of whom were with her current husband. She has been living in Sao Paulo for the past 40 years
    [​IMG]

Videlema - 7 years old
    [​IMG]

Vitoria - 6 years old
    [​IMG]

Venessa - 5 years old
    [​IMG]

Father of the three - Sandro 37 years old
    [​IMG]

Family portrait
    [​IMG]

The drunk man - Didn't want to talk - said I could take a picture
    [​IMG]

Tharizo - The working man - He was working and didn't have much time to talk, but he has been living here his whole live, all 40 years of them and would like the world to have more love and less violence
    [​IMG]

Lastly there is Antonio - he has lived in Sao Paulo for the past 7 years and his 44 years old - He would like "All the countries to be free (translated version)" So whatever that means, that is what he would like the world to know.
    [​IMG]

Well I got to ten, but I cheated, because I counted the kids - hehe - I know there are some focusing errors and sure there are some typos. It was my first attempt and I had fun so I just thought I would share.

Ib-MyshittyWatermark - Stupid Lightroom

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. alexromo

alexromo New Member

why are you living in brazil? you didnt feel frightened that someone would try to jack you for your camera?

3. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Thanks for sharing, bro :bowdown:

4. KLaM13

KLaM13 Ill drop kick your face

You are so good! Marry me!?

5. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Props to your braveness.

Your framing is a bit too tight for my taste.

6. Tonster MBA

Which ones are you referring too?

Also brave as in:
    -Walking around with 3 grand on my neck on the streets of Sao Paulo?
    or
    -Meeting new people??

Both brave, just in a different sence

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

love it!

I really suck at approaching people like this. You get a :bowdown: just for actually doing it! and getting their stories... classic.

I like the pics too! I'm a huge fan of the tight crop...

8. Tonster MBA

[​IMG]

I just got my new 35mm 1.8 its FTW!!! I love it - it has a nice tight crop, and who doesn't like it tight? :mamoru:

The stories were the easiest, people are easy to talk to here, it was the busing out a big camera after I asked these questions that people were scared of. I took a picture of what i looked like so you guys could see what it looked like walking around. Its the first pic in my gallery

/edit for the lazy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

yeah, I hear that... The huge, awkward camera is my usual excuse for not doing this...

it's times like the leica m9 would come in reaaaaly handy...

10. Tonster MBA

I didn't go out before this, I was litterally waiting day by day for this damn lens to come in, all I have down here (had) is my 70-200 which is a good lens in context and my crappy 18-70 which isn't sharp at all.

I finally have a portrait lens that is functional.

Also, I take my grip off to make my camera look smaller, people associate size with price. Don't want to draw anymore attention to myself. Being the Gringo with the big camera is bad enough.

11. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Are the first kids like street performers or something? I don't know how things are there.. You just mentioned they work on the street. Around here only drug dealers and prostitutes "work the street".

12. Tonster MBA

Although I am not a world travler, I would have to say Brazil is one the the most entrepreneurial nations. EVERYONE trys to work; if work means begging for change, or reselling beverages on the street, people do what they can to make money. They don't just sit around and wait around for the gov't to give them money [guess the race].

Here are some examples of Jobs:

--
    Little kids (but mainly adults) will buy beer, soda, and water and then sell it in front of the futball stadiums and the big bus terminals. It is weird to buy beer from a kid, but they sell them.
    --
    People will take over parking spots, and then charge you to park there, even if they don't own it or anything. There isn't really anything you can do because if you park and don't pay they will fuck up your car. They say you are paying for them "to watch you car"
    --
    [bar setting] people will walk up and put peanuts or some other type of snack nicely presented on your table and then walk away, then when you eat it, they will come back and charge you for eating there stuff. If you don't do anything, they will come back and pick it up and mix it back with all of the other stuff. :ugh: Its like used food.....
    --
    The standard selling stuff while waiting at a stop light is common
    --
    People set up popcorn stands and hot dog stand at busy bus stop
    --
    Basically everyone is looking/trying to sell something. If you have ever been to venice beach, CA - it is like that, except the whole city.

CLIFFS: the kids juggle for money.

13. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Brave as in just getting out there, and introducing yourself to the 'outside' world :o.

Not that I've done it before, but I'm not a fan of tight portraits in the street. I'd want to show more background, to give the viewer a better of feel of what it's like to be in their situation.

14. havelegs

havelegs Active Member

Great shots and excellent story line to go along with the photos.:bowdown:

15. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

I thought the whole point was to get candid shots...

16. Tonster MBA

what do you mean " the whole point" my objective was to meet new people, learn a little about them, take a picture to remember them... Hopefully I will run into them again while I am here and can catch up with me. meeting random people FTW!

17. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Street photography as in shooting from a distance to get candid shots.

Not like having to meet random people and posing them for shot and possibly catching stds.

18. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

great attitude. you'll do well as a photographer :hsugh:

19. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

What you don't believe me?

20. aCab

aCab New Member

wouldn't that be "candid street photography"

21. alexromo

alexromo New Member

he did photography, and he was on the street

22. dmora

dmora Guest

You did great.

Looks like Walker Evans work.

http://photography-now.net/walker_evans/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

sweet purple camera bag :bowdown:

24. Tonster MBA

:rofl:
    thanks my mom gave it too me :coolugh:

it was an old camera bag of her's from a long time ago, it was some film camera she had, it says tamron on it! I will take more pics when I go out shooting again. FYI in Brazil, its totally, cool/okay to have a "fanny pack/ side pouch" so i thought it would blend in great.... and I actually did. ahha.