A&P Street Photography Etiquette?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Scream_Phoenix, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

say youre on the subway. something about the gentleman on the bench across from you strikes you and you want to capture it... do you just line it up and take it or shoot blind hoping that he doesnt notice? asking permission would probably ruin any of the original effect that was there. any tips on this? anyone had a run in where someone freaked out on you for taking a pic of them :dunno:

here is a thread from photo.net with some incredible pics that made me wonder http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BIDr

2. sony

sony Active Member

take his picture and then come up to him and introduce yourself and talk to him? jus tdon't take his picture and leave :hsugh:

show him the pic you took of him etc. :o

3. mojito

mojito New Member

you can make a little gesture with your hand sort of asking if you can take the pic and they can just nod yes or no and leave them be

if this will be for commercial use at all, get a model release. Foldgers just paid out $15mil for not using a model relsease to a client

Be careful with kids, theres to many perverts out there so parents are very protective these days, but if you go up to them first, you're usually ok. Always say you'll send them a print,a nd do send them a print, otherwise you're setting yourself up to get hurt in the end.Even if its bad to you its probably great to them. Make some business cards with your site on them, that'll help ease a conversation. vistaprint sends you 250 for the price of shipping

4. mojito

mojito New Member

the homeless around this area now charge to have their picture taken, with to many Brooks students, they figured out how to capatalize on their own misfortune

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You can only get away with using pics of people on the street if you're shooting for a newspaper or other news outlet. You cannot alter the pic nor can you insert a false statement about what the subject is doing.

For any commercial use, you must have a signed release from the subject.

I once worked for a tv station. I shot some footage of kids playing in a park to illustrate a story about divorced parents. The parents saw their kids on tv and threatend to sue the station because one could argue that we insuitated that the kids were from a broken home. Taught me a lesson.

6. Jenny Jenn

Jenny Jenn New Member

I dunno, I saw a cool girl in a subway once and just took the picture. She saw me........but I think she was flattered.

[​IMG]

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

contrast much?

nice pic.

8. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

I think that you also put people at ease more by having a smaller camera and lens.

And I don't think you want to make it a secret that you are shooting.

9. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

But then that takes the "casualness" out of it.
    :wiggle:

10. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

There two ways to go about this -- a really long telephoto lens or up close and personals with wides.

If you are a bit of a sociable person, the close and wide style will probably suit you and get you pictures that you might not otherwise have the opportunity to take.

11. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

[​IMG]

This was taken with all 432mm of zoom on my Panasonic and from behind my car :o

12. mojito

mojito New Member

Thats the stalker way of doing it, which does work. If you could get up close with a wide angle, you could have had a muc more intresting perspective giving more depth to the photo. Instead its kinda compressed.

Its funny, if I wear my student ID on a landyard around my neck I never get bothered and can go anywhere, if not, I always get weird looks when taking photos in public.

You can imagine the difference between a little pocket digi cam and a full out SLR with a big-o-lens on it would make people feel when its pointed at them.

when I use a 70-200 or 200 F/1.8 I always get asked if i'm the frikking paparazzi

13. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

That's kinda why I like to stick to my 50mm f1.4. I also like to have some fun with it and make up stories as to why I'm taking pictures or even just strike up a conversation with the person. It's fun.

14. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

I use a 200mm f/2.8L to do street photography

I've never had a problem even when I use my 50mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2

15. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

just take it you can take pictures of anything as long as your on public property, if they ask why tell them why, I'm not saying this won't piss somebody off so if you take pictures like that you may want some mace or a stun gun in case sombody goes nuts and won't listen to your explanation

16. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

Honestly, make your own bizcards. Carry them with you everywhere... take the pix, if there's questions let them know what you do, pass out the card, show them the pic... ask them then. Don't be all creepy and suspicious about it. :dunno:

17. Good icebreaker for initiating conversation with hot chicks. :bigthumb: :dunno:

I don't have any to show right now though :(

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i just take the picture, and if they notice and don't care then no harm. if they do notice and get mad i show them my digital camera and there picture. if they blow up about it i let them watch me delete the picture from my camera and they are usually satisfied. one lady told me i shouldn't do that, it was invading other people personal space and what not. i told her if i asked first (like someone said) it runs the originality of the photo and what not. then she told me i should jsut stop taking pictures then. but i'm not gonnna do that...she jsut seemed paranoid. most people are flattered to have ther e pics taken.

i could care less if people take my picture. we have 76 cameras inside my skool that are CONSTANTLY watching us..and the worst part is there was no asking or permission forms saying they could film us...skool board jsut decided they were gonna install cameras. THAT is a problem, its live video and its EVERYWHERE. but 1 picture i could care less about...