GUN Streamlight TLR-1 vs M3

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Jun 28, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Looking for a weapon light for my 870. Educate me. I was never really interested in mouting a light but after a couple of recent "bumps in the night", I think I can see the value of having a light mounted on the firearm.

The Streamlight TLR-1 and M3 both seem to have a good reputation, good price, good warranty, and I like the fact they they are quick mount/unmount.

What is the functional difference between these two? TLR-1 is LED and has a longer run time, but they have a similar lumen output, form factor looks about the same, and the weight is within a couple of ounces, and they are fairly similiarly priced. Seems like the TLR-1 is the newer design, but it doesn't look like there is a tape switch available for it. Also, it looks like the TLR-1 is picatinny compatible, but the M3 doesn't say...

Are there any other brands/models I should be looking at in the $150ish or less range? The price limit pretty much excludes Surefires rail mounts and I don't like the Surefire forends anyway. At the other end of the spectrum I'm not looking for some cheap mini-mag clamp mount either...

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

M3s are complete trash

3. ahead

ahead New Member

ive got a tlr-1 on my HK. i love it, nice solid beam. the nice thing about LED lights is they will probably never burn out in our lifetime, and much smaller chance of breaking if they are dropped. the tlr-1 has a screw type mount that the m3 doesnt have, so it mounts on the rail more securely but isnt as quick to put on. but if its going on your HD gun you shouldnt really worry about that much. i got mine on ebay for less than $100 shipped, id recommend it.