GUN strategies for recruiting...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jehan60188, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

There's no doubt that people out there want to keep guns out of the hands of citizens. But, let's face it, all the anti-gun control rhetoric we throw around here is wasted. We're preaching to the choir!
    I say a discussion about recruiting those on the fence, and converting the mild antis is not only desireable, but necessary if we're going to preserve our rights...

IMO, one of the best ways to convert a fence-sitter is talking, and exposure. In high school, I was for gun control. I believed the police would protect me from bad guys.
    But I slowly realized that they can't be everywhere, and that I need to take control of my situation. So, I hit the gun range, just to try it out, and I fell in love.
    Now, I'm not saying everyone will fall in love, but they'll see that guns aren't killing machines. The key is not to get in their face, otherwise they'll be intimidated. Be polite, but persistent!

If you compete, invite friends to your competitions.
    If you shoot, invite friends to the range. I would suggest bringing no more than a couple of handguns, and maybe a long gun. You don't want to over whelm your friend with too many options!
    If you're juts a reader for now, talk to your friends about the news articles people post up here. Or about the latest feature of gun X.

Any other ideas/stories?

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I got two people into guns last year, one was a mild-anti who I never thought would buy a handgun. :bigthumb:

I peaked interest on one of my highschool friends last weekend. He was very against guns but he showed a glimpse of interest after I told him how I couldn't shoot more than 100 round my first few times because of massive adrenalin dump. After he heard "massive adrenalin dump" he was very interested in shooting.

It's funny because all these years I was trying hard to get him to shoot, but when I had no intention of trying to get him to shoot and instead just told him my story when I first started shooting it peaked his interest.

So my strategy now is, just tell people interesting story from when you first started shooting.

3. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Invite them to the range and let them shoot something un-intimidating like a 22... I know this is what worked for me a few years ago. I can't say I was ever an "anti", but I used to be very "indifferent" towards guns, gun rights, gun legislation, etc... I wasn't against people owning guns, but I myself found them kind of scary and something I would never own... One trip to the range fixed that...

Also, try not to come off as too much of a "gun nut"... Some of the hard line ideas that are widely accepted on here will push away alot of the un-initiated...

4. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I was the same, but the first gun I shot was Market Garden's dad's .50 cal Macmillan. I was hooked after that, but I remember only wanting to handle wood handled guns, they were less intimidating to me.:rofl:

5. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

that's because anything all black, or polymer, is an assault weapon, designed for sneaking past airport security, and school metal detectors...

EDIT: Actually contributing to the topic, instead of saying something useless-

I totally agree with you bpa00 that we should avoid coming off as "gun nuts" I think a better term is perhaps "civil rights supporter" or "safety enthusiast"

6. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

My wife wasn't anti gun but didn't like the "idea" of them and definitely didn't want a gun in the house. Started taking her shooting a few months ago, her brother bought us a 9mm for Christmas.

2 months later we're driving in the car and she starts talking about "The First 48" and how all the murderers on the show would still have guns even if we couldn't and she's happy we have one in the house. Yadda yadda yadda point is you should start showing episodes of "The First 48" to people :mamoru:

I'm serious about everything else though ... I think it's all about exposure and reasoning.

7. nakedbrian3433

nakedbrian3433 I don't have time to bleed. OT Supporter

this

8. johan

johan Active Member

totally agree...instead of wasting time arguing with anti's...

I just go around quietly, casually introducing the fun, sporting aspect of it to more and more people.

Keep the appeal mainstream, fun & safe. Not coming off like its a weirdo peculiar thing to do.

create that new generation of enthusiasts.

thats how you pull out the rug from under the antis. much harder to marginalize the majority.

9. nakedbrian3433

nakedbrian3433 I don't have time to bleed. OT Supporter

Don't go up to them wearing a tin foil hat talking about zombies n' shit. Thats a bad idea all around.

10. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Fuck, what am I supposed to wear to work?!

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Just line the inside of a baseball hat :coolugh: