Strange shooting pain in my arm when I exercise...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Osiris^, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osiris^

Osiris^ Creepy as fuck son OT Supporter

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas on an issue I've been having.

When my arms are getting worked out (in this case, on a rowing machine), I sometimes - maybe once every 30 min workout - get an odd shooting pain stemming from my wrist, and travelling slightly up my arm. This happens when I'm pulling the rowing handle towards me. It's not like a normal muscle pain or ache where you can push through it, because it's just so random in its occurrence. Also, the pain is - I wouldn't go as far as to say frightening - but it's a really unnerving feeling that makes me want to stop immediately.

Incidentally, I had this problem when I was doing some summer work back last year. I was in a factory packing 25kg bags onto pallets, and I'd sometimes get in then, too - in exactly the same place, and exactly the same feeling. It sort of switches between my arms, but it often happens in my left arm (my weaker one). Yet, it doesn't seem affected by the weight of what is being lifted or whether my muscles are cold or in the middle of a workout; sometimes it just twinges when I pick up something like a carrier bag of items from a supermarket. I can't explain it; it's more akin to an electric shock than muscle pain. And, it doesn't instigate the same reaction as a random pain. I don't feel "ouch" when it happens, it's more like "argh, what the fuck is that?!" and it makes me want to rub my arm, like an electric shock.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the source of this pain, and/or what I could do to mitigate it?

2. TheDim

TheDim New Member

I get a sort of "twinge" shooting pain in my forearm when rotating on a supernating curl, not all the time, occasionally, but it pisses me off, no idea what it is though

3. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Tendon.........Nm.

4. LuciferBowels

LuciferBowels New Member

do you ever get numbness or tingling in your fingers? It could be carpal tunnel.

5. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

i had something similar, except my thumb, pointer, and middle finger would feel numb like they were asleep or something. My doctor says I'm probably just pinching a nerve. pulled this huge wrist guard thing out, told me i could try wearing it while working out but thought that it would probably never really go away. The wrist guard was HUGE, way to big to lift with and was $30. Said fuck it and went back to the gym. If it IS carpal tunnel, which mine wasn't, they have this really easy test to figure it out. either way go to the doctor or quit complaining and live with it

6. Osiris^

Osiris^ Creepy as fuck son OT Supporter

I will take a visit to the doctor. If I knew it was just a random twinge and nothing to worry about, then I'd just try to ignore it.

Nah, it's a really direct pain just below my wrist (i.e further up my arm).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.