strange rebooting on welcome screen error, help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Jan 7, 2005.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

im trying to help a friend out with his computer, but it has me stumped.

first, i turned the powersupply back on and it came on immediately, maybe his power button is broken? then it made noises that i would not be happy to hear coming from my box, seemed the harddrive was struggling.

the monitor didnt come on fast enough to see the bios the first boot, then i saw the white bar line across the bottom of the screen that turns into the solid white line. then it ran winxp's checkdisk util, ran through the step 1 of 3, and halfway through step 2 said "unknown error" and went to the welcome screen where it promptly rebooted. by welcome screen, it was the windows blue with the word "welcome", but it did not have any user icons or the nt login box

this time, i saw the bios, everything appears ok. white bar, checkdisk util bailed out partway through first step, no message, went to welcome screen, reboot.

bios ok, f8 to get to safe mode, selected "safe mode", it started scrolling the drivers it was installing. stopped on system32/drivers/mup.sys, hung, rebooted.

i flipped of the powersupply.

any ideas?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I ran a Google search and found a few things. You may want to do the same.

Do the machine happen to have a USB card in it? Try taking it out and see if that helps. I read a few other links that mentioned the same thing.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

reinstall windows.

4. 01000101

01000101 New Member

cmsurfer- just 2 ports onboard
    jollyogre- ill let him do that, im trying to find a way around it

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm sure there's a way around it instead of just reinstalling Windows.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there almost always is. But seldom is there a faster, easier, or more fail-safe way.

In my experience, a problem like this is best-solved by a format/re-install. Same with viruses and huge spyware problems. Even though it can usually be fixed, the machine will never run as well as it could.