Strange Problems with Videocard.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ae86drift, Jun 26, 2005.

1. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

Specs:
    =-------------------------------=
    Asus P4S533 (bios rev. 1007c)
    Intel P4 2.6GHz Northwood (not o/clocked) with a AERO4Lite Cooler running on high
    1GB NCP PC400 RAM
    Xpertvision 6600GT 256MB DDR3 Videocard (with Vantec Spectrum Fan in PCI slot below video to cool it)
    Audigy Soundcard (latest drivers)
    Enermax 'Noisetaker' 485W ATX 2.0 PSU
    2x 80mm case fans.

Windows 2000 SP3
    (SP4 wont upgrade for some inane reason. no im not formatting to fix it)

1024 x 768 x 32 (72Hz Refresh to match my LCD)
    DirectX 9.0c

=--------------------------------=

OK heres the deal
    i bought the 6600GT to replace my awesome 128MB ti4200 ive had running for ages on this setup system. the prior system is solid as a rock no issues in 2 + years.

the ti4200 (gainward goldsample) was running with OMEGA drivers since ever. i always got the latest ones. Omega ran well with the ti4200

so i remove the old one from device manager and rewove drivers from add/rem progs.

boot into windows, run both cleaning programs:
    - driver cleaner pro
    - detonator RIP

they both find shit left behind (good work nvidia) and then i clean it off and reboot.

sounds pretty good so far, yeh?

so i slot in the new card, plug in the EXTRA molex into the vid card, make sure its seated correctly, and boot windows. all good so far

i then install the old omega drivers (i didnt see why not) and reboot.
    all is good and well, windows works fine, dvd is fine, mpg video is fine.
    so i open bf2 demo to test the new DX9 card i now have.
    it opens up fine and dandy and loads into map fine.

then the problems...

EVERYTHING is ripped and artifacts are EVERYWHERE. the whole map is partially seethru.... but the game plays fine, i just cant see shit.
    no laggyness, no jarring, no problems with framerate, its kicking along... just unplayable due to models being ripped to shreds.

so i try CS:Source. its the same just not AS bad, only slight model issues and no walls are seethru....

so i go back to windows uninstall the drivers (thinking it was old drivers) and reboot. run the cleaner over the OS again to pick up old crap, it does, and i reboot. reinstall the newest 77.50 drivers from NVIDIA and reboot again.

so i boot up and windows again is ok. dvd ect is ok. so i try bf2 again, all ok until i get into 3d mode. then it looks awesome!! so i select my weapons and i walk, good fps, no lag, no artifacts... perfect.. 'yes' i think to myself, 'i thinkive fixed it!'

BUT then it freezes (repeating the 'walk' sound over and over) .. fuck i think, the pc has frozen due to heat, so i check the case. its mildly warm but really only warm, no issues there....

BUT then it comes back and i can walk some more... its ok for about 30 seconds but AGAIN the freezing happens.. the last noise is repeated and its for about the same time.. 15 or so seconds... then it comes back...

at this time it appears to be a texture thing coz i tested a few things and if i run along looking directly at the ground it lasts for about 2-3 minutes of play, but as soon as i look up into multiple models/textures it freezes.

tried CS. same shit. so its not the game..

so i figure it might be DX9.0c upgraded over and over since the last reinstall of WIN2k (2+ years ago) ... so i uninstall the vid drivers and reboot.

then i run the 2 driver cleaners and remove old junk. done.
    then i run DirectX Eradicator 2.0 over the OS and remove direct x 9.0c. done.
    it wants to reboot and use the win2k cd to put back the DX7 drivers from original install. so i grab the cd and reboot. it asks for the cd, rips dx7 off and install, another reboot. done

i run DXdiag.cpl over the machine and it says DX7 is installed. ok cool.

then i install the complete DX9.0c full 'redistrib' file from ms i previously downloaded. done fine great. 1 more reboot and then i install the 77.50's again. done again and reboot. run thru DX diag utility and its all good. run all the direct draw and 3d tests and its perfect. no files missing no issues with crazy shit. perfect.

so i boot into BF2 and its the same again. same as before. cs is the same also.

so i thought it may have to have somehting to do with 4x AGP Mobo and a 8x AGP card.... so into bios set it all to 4x and set AGP aperture to 256Mb.

tried bf2 again. no love. cs. no love. all still the same.
    so i run it with asus probe... no voltage drops, no temp spikes, nothing. all normal....

so im forced to be using the old card now and everything is fine again. there are no issues with CS but since its a ti4200 it wont play in BF2....

im running out of ideas at this point... any ideas? i dont wanna format anything just yet coz its my main work PC as well.

im going to try to have the card tested in another pc to see if it works ok. as i havent ruled out the card being faulty yet.

anyone?

2. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

It sounds like you've covered basically every option you could have. Are you positive that the card is seated correctly? I would try different drivers :dunno:

3. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

nah, its been checked and checked over its seated ok and im leaving it flat on the desk so its not un-seating itself when its being moved upright.

i have tried 66.xx to 77.xx and all inbetween. no love.

:wtc: anyone else?

4. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

If you haven't already try it in another system, or just RMA it.

5. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

tried it tonight
    it killed the agp slot of my mates mobo
    hes not happy :(

6. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

How did that happen? Just RMA the card and get a new one.