Strange problem with WMP stopping playing sound.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

My comp has been working fine.

A couple days ago I bought a 21" CRT and plugged it into the VGA socket as per normal (on-board graphics card). AC is direct from the wall socket (not via the PSU). Then I bought some 2.1 speakers, power direct from the wall socket also. Previously sound came by way of two external speakers which were powered from a socket on my old 14" monitor, 3,5mm jack into the M/Board.

For some reason, when my CPU is working hard the sound stops. WMP and VLC will 'play' tracks/'windows noises', you can see the timeline moving along just fine, but there is no sound being emitted.

I have to re-boot and then everything is back to normal.

Problem replicates every time almost.

Very weird, any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well its a bit like weightlifting, if i put 2000 pound attached to your back you fall on the ground, you can't move anywhere until i release the load, which would be the reboot where the cpu is freed again , if you stop the heavy application in your computer it might 'look' asif your cpu is functional again, but the sound buffers may well still be stacked to the max so , personally i think that getting a soundcard instead of using the on-board soundcard will do the trick, where the processing is done within the soundcard so that the cpu load gets reduced, should lead to better performance, from your post it was a bit vague if your using an onboard or a individual sound-card so sorry if i got your post wrong.

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Thanks DarkEternal.

This makes sense and I'll be adding a new GFX card in the next few days so that should lower the demand on the CPU somewhat.

Since adding the new monitor, the resolution of my screen has gone from 1024x768 to 1600x1200.

Could this be putting more strain on the CPU ? I honestly cannot think of anything else, bar faltering hardware.

Thanks.