Strange problem with DNS (I think)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWombat, Oct 11, 2007.

1. TheWombat

TheWombat New Member

OK so I'm not 100% this should go here, but it seemed like it was the best fit.

For whatever reason, I cannot resolve a specific web site/IP. When I attempt to hit it, it hangs (times out). If I ping it, it resolves the IP from the web address just fine, and responds very quickly (8-10ms). When I tracert it The very first hop times out, but then it does fine for a while, and times out again (this time permanently) at a sever in LA (lax1.attens.net)

Heres what I have done to try and remedy this:

1) Removed my router (just to be sure) its now this computer hooked directly to the modem.
    2) Tried to use a proxy to get to the website. This works, so I know the website is working. I just don't think that I should have to use a proxy. That and all the free proxies that I know of don't allow POST data.
    3) Tried alternate DNS's. No go. They can resolve every other website fine (as usual) but can't resolve the one in question.
    4) Reset everything I can. Modem (both hard and soft resets) ipconfig /release /renew, ipconfig /flushdns

I have no idea what to do next. It seems as though its a DNS issue (seeing as I can ping it just fine, just not hit the actual site) but when I switch to different, known good DNS's I still have the same problem. I called comcast tech support, but as I figured they were useless just telling me that I need to reset my router, and that the problem was on my end somewhere. They did put a ticket in though because I insisted that it at least be checked.

And advice from networking guru's would be appreciated.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Can you access the site from another location?

3. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

2) Tried to use a proxy to get to the website. This works, so I know the website is working.

4. Sexual Vanilla

It seems to me that because he tried alternate DNS servers to no avail, it wouldn't be a DNS issue, which is why I asked the question.

5. Sexual Vanilla

Can you access the site by simply typing in the IP address that you receive from the ping into the address bar ?