strange problem, where to look first?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nobusiness, Dec 15, 2005.

1. nobusiness

nobusiness New Member

OK, I will attempt to make my problem clear

I am running 6.5 components in front bridged to 6.5" woofers in back (Crystal CS60C), Boston RC620 respectively, off of a 2ch clarion amp. For subs I am running 2 10" JL's off of a 4ch amp (this configuration nets me optimal power distribution...don't reccomend I run the subs off the 2ch because I have done it before and it is either underpowered running individual channels, or it goes into protection when bridged.

anyhow, onto my problem

When the volume is approx 3/4, powerful enough bass thumps will cause a crackle in my passenger side tweeter (front). When I turn the subs off, this problem dissapears, and when i turn the speakers off, the problem is also gone, so it is a result of running both amps at once. My theory right now is that there is some interference between the sub wires and the speaker wires, and at a high enough power, this is resulting in my crackle. I have no alt. whine in the speakers so this isn't a grounding issue, and I'm running 4awg power wire, so I do not think that this is a power issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

While I'm not sure why turning the subs off would cause any change whatsoever (due to them being on a completely seperate amplifier and not connected in any way to the components that I can tell), you're probably getting distortion because you are running passive XO's. When turn the volume up to high enough levels to cause clipping (apparently 3/4 for you), it will destroy the tweeters first. This is because tweeters are much more sensitive to clipping. Your mids will be distorting as well, but not as much as your tweeters, which is probably why you aren't hearing it in your mids. When you disconnect the mids the amplifier's load is eased and so clipping is less likely, and you will have to turn the volume knob up less to receive the same output in the tweeters. If you were to run an active setup (requiring one channel for every speaker) you wouldn't have this problem.

The solution for now is to not turn it up as loud lol. The next solution is to buy a more powerful amp. I can't imagine a 2 channel amp driving 4 sets of aftermarket speakers very well unless it is very powerful. And finally, if your head unit has a built-in active crossover you can buy another multichannel amp and experience the wonders of going fully active.

If you're real interested in the technical side of it, read here: http://sound.westhost.com/tweeters.htm

3. nobusiness

nobusiness New Member

see, its the turning off the subs that is confusing me. With the subs off, running only the speakers, I can run maximum volume at the deck without any clipping whatsoever. The second I turn the subs on, the crackle comes back.

As for amplification, the amp is 2ohm stable per channel, which is exactly what I'm running. (front component system + rear woofer per channel)