Strange networking problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Q (_) /\ l), Jul 30, 2003.

1. Q (_) /\ l)

Q (_) /\ l) Lurkage

I recently built a new computer. I put it on my network as I would any of my other computers to access the internet. Anyway I was working on a computer that I was selling to a friend of mine and I go to download drivers for the video card. I was getting 250KB per second, and no it wasn't just at the beginning, it was consistently pulling that speed, which is high for me. At first I thought it was just the MTU/edit Tcp receive window) buffering, but when it stayed at that pace for 18MBs it got me thinking. WTF is with this computer being able to pull in the high speeds that I have never been able to with my new computer. Never the less the new computer has only been able to get speeds around 130KB on a good day on off peak time, but it's the middle of the day and the other computer pulls in twice the speed. Is there something improperly configured on my NIC card, or registry that is slowing the download speeds on my new computer? In order for me to accurately compare the two computers I benched the speeds and the same site on both PC's, then went to NVIDIA to test download on this new computer to see if I can anywhere near the speeds I obtained on the old puter, but no luck, so there has to be something I can do to obtain the same speeds. I mean geez, 230KB for me is fast, because I download a hell of a lot of stuff.

Can someone lead me in the right direction?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003
  2. MP

MP New Member

My only guess would be that the computer really likes whatever NIC Card you have in there. From building computers myself I know some computers just don't like certain NIC's and some do.

If you have a different operating system that could be the issue as well.

3. Q (_) /\ l)

Q (_) /\ l) Lurkage

Well I don't know about a proxy server liking a specific NIC over another since they do the same basic premise. I need ot compare the registry setting. All OS's are win2k pro. Who knows though it could be the NIC, but in a configured type ordeal. Maybe my firewall is somehow preventing the speeds to this NIC because i binded it to the trusted table, thus increasing the filtering because it goes through the firewall filters rather than around it. I may need to pull the NIC from this other computer and see if it changes anything. I'll BBL..

4. Q (_) /\ l)

Q (_) /\ l) Lurkage

Okay I think I got it, the Tcp Receive window(not MTU, my bad) was set way too high, I reduced it down to 17520 and it runs fine.

5. MP

MP New Member

What are the specs of each computer?

ram, cpu, fsb, mobo

6. MP

MP New Member

nevermind. looks like ya got it