Strange network question....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tosh, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

My PC upstairs is running XP Pro SP1 with my media partition shared as read only.
    My work laptop is running 2000SP6 and I log into my work network using VPN software and ID card. I can access my PC upstairs when I'm logged into VPN but not when I'm just logged into my lan at home.

To clarify, my network is 802.11g for both. I'm only wanting to access my PC upatairs when I'm home and part of the wireless network. I use VPN so I can get my work email and shit from home.

I can only access my media PC with he laptop when I'm logged into VPN, weird. My network is supposed to be running at 55Mbps, but VPN seems to slow that to about 1MBps.

I can't change any network settings on my laptop, it just boots and resolves an IP. I can't change the domain (corporate shit).

Any thoughts? I'd like to be able to access it without logging into the VPN and try to get a higher speed than 1MBps, or is 55Mbps = 1MBps? :)

THANKS!

2. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

Nothing???
    Cmon! :)

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Does the PC upstairs belong to the network at work as well? I mean it sounds like you're being authenticated via the VPN, which in turn is routing all your traffic into the network and then back out to the remote (ie your using the internet to access your computer upstairs). If that's the case, you could try accessing the computer not thru a netBIOS name, but thru its IP address.

4. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

your work computer might be setup to limit traffic in any form unless your logged into the vpn, its a security thing(i semi worked at keybank for a little bit).

at keybank they did that so that the computer had less a chance of infection or being hacked, since while it was vpned a special firewall/anti virius thing was running ontop of a firewall and anti virius on the local machine.

5. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

What about using it to connect to my PC upstairs? nothing is connecting to my work laptop... I want to use it to connect to the PC.