Strange Hard Drive Noise...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by karma, Apr 17, 2005.

1. karma

karma you reap what you sow

I have an extra hard drive that makes a "whining" noise when it is on. The noise is constant; it does not change pitch, and does not seem to affect performance. I was thinking of building a second computer with this hard drive, but don’t want to if it is bound to fail.

Does anyone know of any good disk utilities? It is a Maxtor 80GB IDE drive. It always checks fine with Maxtor’s software – as if everything is completely normal. It seems to function fine and quickly, just has the noise. What do you guys think?

It is currently in a external aluminum hard drive enclosure, I can assure it never gets hotter than luke warm.

:dunno:

Thanks.

2. VoOdOoVyPeR

VoOdOoVyPeR New Member

is the whining loud?

3. karma

It's not really loud, it is louder than anything else in the computer. You could hear it over any cooling fans.

I am trying to come up with a comparison...

It is as loud as you can softly hum, but higher pitched? :dunno:

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

a relatively quiet whining is normal for Maxtor drives, especially if they're 7200 rpm.... now, the biggest question is, does it sound a little bit like there's some grinding going on? (metal on metal type sound) if there is, your bearings could be going and you're due for an imminent crash, if not, you're fine

I swear by maxtors, all my friends and I use them, and I've only ever had one fail so far... and the oldest have been in our systems for going on 8 years now...

and we never turn our comps off or let them go into standby

5. karma

The whine is certainly louder than normal, but there is no "grinding" sound. Maybe this is just an extra loud hard drive. I'll give it a shot. The guy who I got it from said it was that way as long as he could remember and it never failed or acted up.

We'll see...

6. james99654

james99654 New Member

I had the same type of noise in one of my old drives however it was not a maxtor.

It seemed to be ok, then one day... BAM. It died. Thank God I backed it up.

Ya might wanna do the same. Haha.

7. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

"So I have a hard drive showing signs of fai....[insert dying computer sound]"

Replace that, stat. Back it up as well, costs a fortune to have onTrack recover important data that has not been properly backed up.

8. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Sounds like bad berrings to me.....best dump all of your data off it stat.

9. karma

This computer I am building with this hard drive is a second "browsing" computer. It is not my main computer, I just realized the other day that I have enough spare parts lying around to make a computer. The noisy hard drive is going into it.

I just finished building it and installing XP. It is whining away, and everything seems fine. If it dies, it dies. :)

10. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

my mom has had a computer for a few years now with a louder than normal drive. i brought it home after repalcing hers with a dell and tried to put some kind of cushion between the frame and the drive itself and it helped a little, but not much. I didn't pay attention to what kind of drive it was, but it's an extra computer so I'm not all too worried about it anyways.