Strange FTP problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DizzyEdge, Mar 10, 2008.

1. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Hey guys, I'm FTPing some files to a remote site, and although all indications are that the transfer was successful, when I refresh the remote site, all files upload show a file size of 511 bytes, regardless if their actual size was 200 k up to 10 megs. I've left a message for the remote administrator, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before as I may not here back today. Could it be possible that the remote site is full?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

try a diff ftp client? Do you have permissions in that directory? can you download anything?

3. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

was using CORE FTP as that was the only client I could get to connect with the remote site's SSL settings, however I just downloaded the newest version of Filezilla and unlike v2 that I had, it connects properly now. Anyway, it shows similar behaviour, upload shows fine, files on remote site show normal size, but then when I refresh remote site, it shows 0 bytes. I don't believe I have download access from the remote site, downloads fail using both clients.
    To add a bit more info, I've been doing nightly uploads to the remote site for a year with no problems, until today.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

your user could be over quota.

5. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

That's what I'm wondering, in an over quota situation, would a transfer fail, or would it seem to work, but just never get written properly at the other end? That seems to be what is happening.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the later. do you have access to a gui or web panel to check your quota? Otherwise, confirm with your sysadmin.

7. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

The remote server is run by a client of mine, so I don't have access to that info, but thanks for the tips, I just wanted to see if it sounded like a problem on their end vs mine.

cheers!