Strange Back Pain During Bench Press

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mugwump, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I've been dealing with this for a month or so. It started when I think I pulled or strained a muscles while doing a warmup bench too quickly.

The pain comes from the upper back, right around where the tip of my left shoulder blade is. Some people get lower back pain because they arch their back while doing a heavy press, but I don't do that. The pain is only apparent when I finish my lowering phase, hold it and am about to press upwards. It's right after I hold it, right when I start to push, that this subtle yet uncomfortable pain comes from my back.

Anyone else experienced this and know how to make it stop? I do bench with my feet on and off the ground, and both ways the pain is still there. I've taken a 1 to 2 week break and it still comes back.

2. Filmboy44

Filmboy44 Guest

I have had a similar problem. I just normally worked through it and it went away.

3. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

How long do you spend on the holding phase? My tempo is about 2 for lowering, 1 for holding and 1.5 for lifting/pushing.

4. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

This back pain went away but was reactivated during bench press. I think it might have something to do with my grip. I use a generally wider armed grip. In any case, it's caused from the pushing motion it do with my right arm yet the pain is felt on the left side of my back, near the tip of my shoulder blades. Does anyone have any ideas? :(

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Does it feel like a cramp, a pull, or soreness?

6. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

It's a sharp, stabbing pain that ends when I finish pushing the bar up from the bench. It sucks hard. :(

7. sk0rcher

sk0rcher The universe is watching

Try less weight and add more weight, find out where the pain starts to come, might find its over lifting.

8. keane

keane New Member

doctor

9. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Sounds like a nerve problem. See a doctor.

10. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

11. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.