MMA Straight blast?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by konrad109, Mar 6, 2006.

1. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I was watching some of Paul Vunak's stuff and was really unimpressed by this technique. One of his students clocked him twice pretty damn hard while he was trying to do it in light sparring. Chin exposed, weak hits, and it seems like all you have to do is drop your head a little and let the guy break his wrists on your dome while you punch him in the liver or take him down. I saw some guy try it on fedor in one of his early fights. It was really ineffective. Was this really how bruce lee fought? Was it actually effective?

2. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Do you mean the straight blast or the boxing blast? The straight blast is hand over hand with a vertical fist. It is not for knocking the person out, it's for creating an opening and maybe landing a jab-strength shot to set up something bigger. It's worked every time for me in sparring. Probably because you never see it. Dropping your head would not break the wrist on the straight blast. The boxing blast is a series of crosses going at the person. It has power and can drop a guy. That's the one you usually see in MMA.

3. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

Can you explain it a little more or have videos/pics?

4. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Get in your stance, doesn't matter which lead. Punch forward from the centerline with a vertical fist aiming for the nose. Once you've reached the extension of the punch, pull the hand downard and back. While doing that, bring the other fist up along the centerline and do exactly what you did with the last. Keep going one hand over the other until you wanna stop. You do this fast and while moving into the opponent. Remember, this is not for power. There is no body weight behind these punches. It's all arm and all speed. Works even better if you know any Wing Chun trapping.

5. Trinidad

Trinidad New Member

yea i actually train this technique it's call the R.A.T. (Rapid Assault Tactic) and it's a way to quickly end a fight usually the straight blast is done and then followed up into a clinch with headbut, knee, then elbow as well as any other strikes.

6. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

wtf thread bump lol

7. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

surprised no one mentioned Vitor's straight blast yet in the 2 years that this thread has been alive.