GUN Storing my rifle(s)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aequitas, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Living in an apartment right now, don't realy have the room or $$ for a safe. I do have an attic which is not very noticeable. I was thinking about storing my rifles in there when I'm not home to lower the chances of them getting stolen in the event of a burglary. I figure i'd put some plastice down, wipe them down really well with a silicone rag, then put them each in a rifle sleeve that's been silicone treated. I went up there in the middle of the day today to see how hot it was and it was only about 95ºF.

Is this generally a bad idea and will damage my rifles, or should they be okay?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Some attics are really humid, especially when you have bathroom fans and things that vent into them. I probably would anchor a bolt to my bed frame and attach the cases to that or something.

3. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Do you live near your parents or do you have any friends that you would trust them with?

4. Aequitas

All my friends are in apartments also, parents are about 2.5 hours away. I'm not too worried about a break in, it's a pretty nice complex and I haven't heard of any thus far. I'd just rather them be some place where a person can't just walk in and grab them.

5. BigBadJohn

Maybe you can hide them under your bed

Do you have any kind of alarm system?

6. Aequitas

Working on getting one installed. Once we get that taken care of I won't be too worried about someon just breaking and grabbing. One we were looking at had a 150db auditory alarm. I think that'd be enough to get somene to leave. Just looking for something until then.

7. BigBadJohn

I dont know how much ours is, but weve had one ever since the early 90s. The speakers are located in the attic, 2 floors up on both ends. Theyre about a foot or more in diameter.
    Weve had the system replaced since then but kept the speakers.

Last time it went off I remember it being so loud it hurt your ears to be on the ground level.
    Like putting your ear right next to a car horn

8. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I'd put 'em in a silicon gun sleeve and then like a pelican case or something.

9. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

How often do you use your rifles? You could probably make due with something like this:
    Copy and paste " bag-188 " and put it in the item # category.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/itemfind.asp

If you dont plan on using the rifle(s) for a while then you could invest in a vacuum sealer, and just seal them up that way. They would be air tight and as long as you wiped them down and oiled them up before sealing then the gun would be fine no matter what the condition in the attic is like.

10. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I wouldnt vac bag them. If theres any water in there it would just sit on the rifle.

When I went on vacation I put my rifles in the attic. I put them in between the rafters and covered them back with the insulation. Since it was at the bottom of the attic height wize it was fairly cool and very constant temp. And if you didnt know where it was there would be no way in hell you could find it.

But I since bought a safe.. So dont bother trying to look thru my attic :)

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I just moved into a new house and I left most of my shit at my parents house. I'm still trying to think of someway to keep mine safe. I know my roomates won't go through my room or anything but I'm worried about their friends. I'm putting a lock on my door tomorrow but I would also like somthing else. Any suggestions?

12. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Honestly, since there are roommates involved, the safest thing you could do is just leave them at your parents.

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That's what I'm kind of thinking. :hs: I really would like to get some range time while I'm going to school but I don't have a safe place to store them.

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I've been thinking the same thing, but I don't have a room mate. The only thought I have come up with is I have a closet that I really don't use, I've been considering going to home depot and buying a door knob with a key lock for the the closet and keeping the gun (and any more I might get) in that locked closet. It might not do much as far as some one breaking in, after all it is just a flimsy interior door, but with anything like visitors, kids and the like a locked closet should be adequate.

15. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If you're gonna store them in the attic for any amount of time there are lots of good storage oil/greases. RIG's comes to mind as one. My dad had some shotguns and a 30.06 in their attic for several years with no problems at all. I'd coat them in RIG, then a silicone gun sleeve. Just pull them out at least every 6 months, maybe after the first 2-3 also to make sure they're good and the attic isn't too damp.

16. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I would put something like this in the closet.

http://www.sirennet.com/tufloc-multi-gun.html

then put a locking knob on the door and maybe even a padlock/hasp on it as well. Then a locking knob for the bedroom door.

When it comes to roommates, you have to cover your ass. They can steal the guns and bail on you, sell the guns for cash, or the worst, play with them and end up shooting themselves or someone else, leaving you with a lawsuit for allowing them access to them.

An attic is ok unless it's accessable by everyone else. If it is, then all it takes is for word to get out that they are there.

17. BigBadJohn

Wow. Ive seen some shitty gun safes for less than that

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

well, I dont really have a good way to store my stuff yet, but considering that out of my 3 roomates, one bought a 10/22 right after I got my savage, one of them is looking to get an SKS, and the last is into swords and plans on getting an M14, I think I am ok :dunno:

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

There will be no way they will ever know I have guns if I decide to keep them here. I just don't want some drunken kid going though my stuff when I'm away from the weekend and to stumble across anything. All three of my roomates are female too so I don't think if they ever find them, they will be playing with or selling my guns.

20. Aequitas

You could always just take them with you if you go away for the weekend.

21. Yeemix

Yeemix My Doggah!

get a dirt cheap gun locker, nothing fancy, just a large metal box to store you guns.

22. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

your other option and my fav is to take part of the gun with you or put that in a smaller safe.

I used to take the bolt out of my mosin and the barrel out of my hand guns and keep those in a safe and hide the rest!