A&P Storing all my aperature files on an external...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by famous, Mar 22, 2007.

1. famous

famous OT Supporter

is it possible? i dont want any on mac hd, but i want to be able to run aperature when i plug in my external and have them find them all. how do i do this? im not familliar with all the features of aperature, mostly just minor pp. thanks a lot.

2. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Its what I dislike the most about Aperture is having the library that takes up space on the computer.

If you are always going to use the same computer and just want the actual photos on an external, you just set it up to use the photos from their original locations. The only the library will reside on your computer and all the files will be on the external. Every time you hook it up, Aperture will know how to handle it.

If you want to use multiple computers with the external then, you need to tell the program to work with the files from their original location, which can be on your external and you also need to set up the library to be on your external as well, then it will be able to work fine.

If you dont set the library up, it will still be able to see the files when you hook up to another computer, you will just lose all your ability to search and do all those good things. It will then have to create a new library on the new computer.

3. Blair

Blair New Member

maybe i am missing something here but can't you just move your library over to the external and tell aperture where it is in the preferences menu?

You should be able to just move the library onto the external (BACK IT UP FIRST!) then use the following pane to show aperture where the library is.

[​IMG]

4. itrungi

itrungi New Member

you can do it.
    -move all the photos from the computer to the external hd
    -set the library location to the external; when you do this, you have to restart aperture.
    -after restarting aperture, import the images from the external into aperture which will create a library system in your external hd.

hope i helped.

5. famous

famous OT Supporter

i dont know how to move the photos besides just moving my aperature library. is post 3 the winner?

6. Blair

Blair New Member

are all of your photos in your library?