Stolen Laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by integraMAHxC, Mar 16, 2007.

1. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

so some doushbag stole my friends macbook.. we know who the kid is but the cops cant just roll through his house.. shes all distraught. and hes been signin on w/ her aim acct. anyway to track that?
    if we cant do it legit we're loading up the suburban and makin a lil visit 2 the bastard..

2. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

if you know the kid, you must know where he lives? if you know where he lives, drop him a visit?

3. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

we know where he lives but we tryin not 2 get arrested for b & e and assault..

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you can get into the home legally (get invited in by his parents) then grab the laptop and book it out of there. You can't get charged with anything because you were there legally (once allowed inside, the owner must tell you to leave before it's a trespass) and if you can demonstrate ownership of the laptop, then they can't say you stole anything... You're simply leaving the premesis with your own property.

5. DXC

DXC New Member

hmmm ...

i question the legality of the "grab and run" tactic ... you will have to prove that the machine is yours . if you approach the parents with your intent up front it would make it easier to reclaim your property . i aint no lawyer ... i am certain that there are some "legal beagles" here that could profer more advice .
    as i personally see it , the better way to deal with this (from a legal standpoint) might be to get johnny longarm involved . boston is a big place and has a police department to match .

go to the police and explain the situation ... more and more police departments have "cybercrime" sections and are pretty hip in their abilities to apply technology to retrieve stolen goods . the detectives there will need some information from you to help them out :
    do you have the serial & model number of the machine ... bill of sale ? if you have serial numbers/activation codes to any programs installed in the machine it would help . anything that you can think of that would show that , indeed , you do own the comp . personal account info and passwords help out too . being able to prove that the little twit that stole the machine is logging on to your accounts is important too .
    if the police have "probable cause" then they can approach the parents about the issue .

they will ask you for more information . time is of the essence .
    check out your legal rights in this case ... you have nothing to loose by going this route and all to gain .

6. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I like Jollyogre's version better. If it's really yours, once you snatch it and you were there legally first, cops aren't going to do shit to you.

7. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

I thought there were apps installed by manufacturers now that "called home" so to speak when they were online and if you called the manufacturer and reported it stolen they could help track the unit down.

It has been a couple of years but I do remember that being released or installed on some laptops as a an anti-theft device. It might help to call the support people who you bought it from and ask about it.

8. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

yea cops have all the info, and know who the kid is.. but they cant do anythin w/o probable cause.. u can get really nifty programs that will call home, and in fact send u screenshots of what the person is doin, and can eventually simulate a system melt down 2 trick the thief.. but u have 2 have that prior..

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, and reformat gets rid of that real quick.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's a safe bet that Apple can prove the serial number on your friend's MacBook is licensed to either her or her parents. Get in, take the computer back, and scram.

11. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

not all of them.. they put a firmware password on the machine.. but a quick swap of the ram takes care of that.. nothins perfect..

12. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

13. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're a dumbass. Not a single mainstream manufacturer has a lo-jack on the ram :rofl:

15. wiseoldmofo

wiseoldmofo New Member

If it was my laptop and I could PROVE it....my solution would be very simple.....bottom line is I would be on it right now and not wondering how I should get the damn thing back. As for the legalities of it....if they were stupid enough to call the cops for me taking back the laptop they stole....I would take my chances with the jury

16. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

word. What i was getting at.

17. BinaryMadman

BinaryMadman New Member

:naughty: I'm pretty sure he was talking about the BIOS password. If you add a BIOS password then the comp never gets a chance to load any operating system, let alone have a chance to install one. It's a must-do for people who have laptops, especially in college. But yeah, I remember thinking the same thing as that guy waay back when.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea and pretty much every bios pwd has a workaround.

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah...the CLRCMOS jumper. :mamoru:

Whether MacBooks have them, though, is another matter...